Question about my range...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fuzzystump, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012
    For the last 7 weeks or so I've practiced daily for about 1 hour. Practice goes somewhat like this:
    1. Earl Iron's exercises for warm -up but some days I spend most of my practice working through them because, among other things, I really want to increase my range.
    2. Move on to various Arban excercises focusing on being relaxed and playing w/out excess tensin/pressure
    3. Work on church music

I feel like I've made alot of progress and notes--especially towards the top of my range---are much easier to play. Currently my usable range is an A just on top of the staff.

So here is my question and why I made this post:
    Is it normal that my range just seems to basically hit a brick wall? E-F-G (top of staff) are played easily and clearly, the A takes a little pressure but then after that I pretty much have no more. Maybe I could squeeze out a Bb or B, but I have avoided playing notes with bad form at all during practice. IE., if I can't play it w/out pressure/tension, I don't. Through learning to relax, not use pressure, etc., the middle space C up to my G have got much easier but I don't think I've added ANYTHING to my top range yet...and this is after about 7 weeks of 1hr daily practice.

Thoughts? Is this normal?

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think everyone ought to be able to play up to a High C...
    Do irons #11 &12, softly and slowly. Start with the 1-2-3 partials and work up chromatically until you are doing the open ones.
    Do them softly and slowly. Control is the goal, not sloppy speed.

I also like chromatic scales up AND down. One octave. Start on 1st space F to top line F. Then go up to F#, G, etc. Try to keep volume soft. Up and down is important. Speed is not. gain absolute control before worrying about speed.

3. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I don't really know if it's normal or not but if you read the thread I recently started under the title 'Hopless trumpet players...' (still at the top for some reason as people seem to like it) you can I see cannot surpass the top line F in the staff and I've been trying hard for the last 6 months. One of the last posts in the thread by Lou Gonzales suggests it's apiece of cake: just imagine yourself being a drowning man, rush the air in, then rush it out through a kids baloon opening, raise your tongue as high as you can and you are at high E. Doesn't work for me but you could have more luck.
    So to answer, for me it feels more like normal, I hope this is not norm for you. Best of luck!

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is an indication of what is going on. Stop focusing on range, and work on the rest. Range will come. Be patient.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the range just stops it is a pressure/lips too far apart thing. Adding pressure after the lips are set can help. Soft practicing helps bring the lips together. To reduce pressure and build chops, play a long tone, reduce pressure until it sounds "bad," then use your chops to make it sound "better."

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Check the tuning of your instrument.
    Flat E - sharp F - even sharper G makes the A difficult to hit
    because if so, the interval between the G and A is "wrong".
    Try to play F - A instead of F-G-A and see what happens

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    The above statement sums it up ..................................7 weeks is a blink of an eye in the scheme of things.
    Brass playing is a way of life that requires a life long dedication if we would like to become a profeciant player.

Veery has summed it up all in a very short sentence

ps Have fun playing music

8. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012
    Cool, this sets my mind at ease, I was wondering if I SHOULD have added a solid half step or something to my range in this time...I mean, 7 weeks x 7 days a week x 1hr is 49 hours.

9. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012
    My focus has honestly been playing w/out pressure and tension as I identified those as my biggest flaws to overcome. So far I feel that I've made great strides in that area.

Are you saying that spending 30-45 minutes on Irons would be overkill for my practice time?

10. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012