Question about "ringing sound"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I almost hate to ask this, but there are some very knowledgeable people on this site so here goes. I have been noticing a "ringing" when I play my trumpets that I hadn't noticed before. Like the aftertones on church bells. You know how you can hear all of the other tones in a church bell besides the primary note struck. I am wondering if this is in the bell of the trumpet. I notice it more on the Strad than the Conn 22. It is subtle enough I have no idea if it can be heard on the other side of the trumpet or not, but I am finding it somewhat distracting lately...don't know how I never noticed it before. Now that I have noticed it I seem to hear it more. . Sometimes the subtle ring is a high pitch, or a high and a middle besides the note I am playing whenever it happens I can feel the vibration in my left hand. Makes me think a resonant wave has set up. Not saying that is what is happening just that is what the impression is like. Doesn't matter if I am playing loud or soft, high or low. The purer my tone is, the more this seems to happen. Problem is just like a church bell the "ringing" i hear is just an aftertone, sometimes harmonic and sometimes dissonant to the note being played. Again it is subtle enough no one else may hear it, and I don't have anyone around me with trained ears to listen for it either. Can anyone enlighten me? :-?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm guessing you notice this more in small, reflective rooms and when playing at louder volumes. If the trumpet sound were purely sinusoidal, it would sound much like a flute. Instead, we create a whole slew of partials, and at fff they can be louder than the fundamental on a good trumpet where these frequencies are well aligned. (For a fun experiment cup your left hand over your ear and play a scale--even when playing the same volume some notes will appear louder or softer depending on the valve combination.) What you are hearing are sum and difference tones, where the sounding frequencies add and subtract from each other. This is a good thing. Don't try to make them go away!

Hope this helps!

3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Yea, I am working nights for two weeks, which means when I am practicing on the loft in our house with wood ceilings and my wife is gone to work the sound is glorious...but I sure hear a lot more then when practicing in a sheetrocked bedroom.

4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I get the same effects when I play at home. In my bedroom upstairs, the room is carpeted and the walls are about 20x25x8 with the popcorn cieling. There is a narrow hallway the leads from my bedroom to my bathroom and if I play in that hallway, I get those ringing tones you are talking about. Nothing to worry about though, you are hearing the reflection of sound coming from your horn. The sound is not dispersing as it would in a larger room.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You particularly hear this when playing alongside a chording instrument (such as a piano) as the overtone harmonics are heard against the chord structure. If you would play a Martin Committee however, you will not hear this as this is the only horn I have ever played that does not produce these overtones... rather it produces a pure tone, which is the quality that gives it what people refer to as a "dark" tone.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Other people call it dull.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just make sure your own hearing doesn't include tinnitus!

8. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    nope, none of that. Actually kind of a nut about hearing protection, and not on any medications that cause it.

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like your avatar, ckkphoto!

10. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Thanks, I can't claim any creativity. Just googled trumpet pics on the internet forever till I found something useful. It suits me. Couldn't put my picture up there as I have a face for radio! ha