Question about teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    john sez:
    I have always been under the impression, that all the adults that were good musicians in my life, that taught, understood the concept that everyone is unique and will learn (best) a certain way specific to them.
    ---
    Maybe in your life, but certainly not in the lives of all.
    This reminds me of a story where a professor with a Doctorate in Music (trumpet) required everyone to change their embrochure and play with the same embrochure as his regardless of how the student played.
    I think it would be fair to say the professor is good. He has the credentials. Did he appriciate that everyone is unique? I don't think so.

2. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    What the heck, here's my 2 cents: obviously if there's something amiss that you don't know how to go about fixing, a teacher is needed...

...but general learning and improvement you can do yourself if you know where you want to go and what to do/what to avoid to get there. If you have the sound and playing concept in your head & ears that you want; can objectively analyze your playing and identify what needs to be done and know how to do it, then 'teaching yourself' is simply working out and applying what a good teacher would be telling you anyway. Your success and rate of progress will tell you pretty clearly if you're on the right track.

If you don't have all of this, then having a good teacher can save you years of time and frustration. A good teacher can also challenge you when you need to be pushed, support you when you have doubts, and set milestones if you're at a particular stage where you don't yet have the required self-discipline and drive to do it yourself.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you are fortunate enough to have great public school or college bands in your area, write a letter to their director seeking their guidance in finding a teacher. I can't begin to count the number of "teachers" I've noted in strip shopping mall music stores that DO NOT PLAY a brass instrument and/or have a college degree in instrumental music.
    Fortunately among these, I did find a saxophonist of the Navy Band who taught my daughter to play whereas she quit the public school program due to the teacher with whom she nor I liked ... and the school system agreed 2 years later. My daughter still plays, now all the single reeds and flute, purely for her own enjoyment and for her friends.

As for DIY, many aspiring musicians are trapped by such ... simply by the fact that qualified, competent, and compatible teachers don't exist in the area in which they live. Can they still achieve? IMO they can if they set their mind and action to it.

When their own recording equals the music they've listened to, and they select more difficult music and replicate that, plus study many of the texts, I've no doubt they will succesfully become musicians sooner or later. Such goal just isn't achieved instantly or without perseverance together with practice ad infinitum.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think DIY is ok if you have a goal, a plan, and a purpose. Of course -if you are not motivated to play --- then I am not sure a teacher can help.

I have known a few "gifted" musicians who were unteachable, and lost heart ----- they could play but they lost the desire to play.

I can play -- because I have learned to glean information off TM, and others like Keith Fiala, autobiographies of Cat Anderson, and such. So are they Teaching me? Or am I learning without being taught?

the point is learn what to do -- then do it with practice --- and Learning requires you to know what it is you need to learn, what can't you seem to teach/learn yourself? --- I think that is the biggest question on whether one needs an actual "physically in person teacher"

that is merely my opinion

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My personal opinion is that reinventing the wheel seldom comes up with one that is as good as the tried and true. The problem is that you don't know what you are doing wrong until you have invested too much time in whatever you were doing. A decent teacher can help to avoid many pitfalls.

I think that the biggest problem is the expectations of the student that do not line up with reality. It is very easy to blame lack of speedy improvement on the method or teacher rather than on general cranial density.

All are not born equal and only some make it. There is as much luck as skill and only those with both really end up on the front line.

The truth is that we can only learn by ourselves. Having somebody SHOW us a good way and perhaps provide a role model just reduces the amount of wrong stuff that we have to go through (and unlearn after the fact). The path to success truly involves a great amount of dedication and persistance as well as being born with decent ears and enough luck to get opportunities to play at our peak level. Here a plugged in teacher is also valuable - they have the connections to get a devoted student more and better playing opportunities than the student perhaps could by themselves. I owe most of what I am today to the fine people that let me be their students.