Question about the inhale and your embouchure....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I've done this for years without thinking much about it, but.... is it okay to open your entire mouth as you inhale to play? That seems contrary to what I've read in a beginning trumpet book, which said you should only breathe from the corners of your mouth (and, according to someone on TrumpetMaster, breathing from the nose is okay, too).

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    As long as you don't inhale THROUGH the trumpet, everything is ok that gets you the air you need.

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Do you mean before you play, or as you play? The corners advice (I believe) applies to what you do as you play. By doing that you don't remove the mouthpiece from your face, nor lose the set of your embouchure. Faster, in other words. Hey! Faster air! :-)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Actually breathing through your nose is biologically preferable where as filtration occurs, but that said, music most often doesn't give you time to do this unless you've adequate rests notated.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a standard rule: If we have time, breathe through the nose. It filters, moistens and warms the air up - all good things. If we don't have the time, we breathe through the mouth. This involves some developed habits as our embouchure has to find its way back together. If we play with pressure, the embouchure will always be a crap shoot when breathing through the mouth. I generally move the mouthpiece away from the lips when I breathe through the mouth as I don't like stretching the lips when the mouthpiece is applied. Everyone elses mileage may vary.