Question about value and quality on a 1967 Conn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mpower_ss, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mpower_ss

mpower_ss New Friend

Mar 27, 2011
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and have plenty to learn. I'm a beginner with many questions. I have used the search features to educate myself. So far, I believe most feel that an older Conn or Olds is a good place to start and grow. My question is about a 1967 Conn Director "shooting star" listed in very good condition. Is this horn a smart purchase at the price of $365. The serial number listed is k45633. Any comments or direction would be great. Thanks for guiding us "newbies".

Regards,
    Michael S...

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IMO, that's a little steep for a Director, but I can't see the horn.

3. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    Welcome to TM...I am fairly new here too, but have had many trumpets over the years, including Conns and Olds. Both made great horns, especially in the 1930s through the 1960s. However, even though the Director is a nice student horn, $365 is way too much to pay. You should be able to find one in good condition for $225 or less.

The Olds Ambassador would be my choice. You should be able to find one of these in good condition for $175 to $375 or so, depending on the condition and whether the horn was made in Los Angeles or Fullerton. The LA models usually demand a premium. These will be the ones made before 1955. There are always Ambassadors for sell on Ebay. Actually, there are a couple of nice ones there now...LAs and Fullertons.

An older Conn that is much nicer than the Director is the Victor. These are a little more difficult to find, but they pop up on Ebay from time to time. These usually sell for about $250 to $500. They are very nice trumpets...easy to play and have a fantastic sound.

I began a long time ago on a Director. At the time, I did not know about trumpets. But now, I have found the Ambassadors or the Victors to be much better than the Director.

If you can spend more than $365, look for a Conn 22B NY Symphony or an Olds Super...both are incredible instruments, but they will cost you more.

Good Luck
    JR

4. EricMGB1974

EricMGB1974 Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Elmira, NY
    I do like my Conn Director but the only way I'd pay that much for one would be if it was the Coprion bell model, in nearly perfect condition and available locally for me to try and carefully inspect prior to final purchase.