Question about valves springs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Byfbo96, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey everyone, I have a question about the valve springs on my Bach Strad. The action on my valves are not as quick as I would like them to be. They just feel sluggish and the response isn't quite there. My question is will a simple valve spring replacement do the job or should I send it out to a repair shop? I had my horn overhauled about ten years ago, but I am not sure if they replaced the springs. My 12b was completely overhauled by Dr. Valves (they did an absolutely incredible job BTW) and the action is incredible, however, I don't want to send it to him or another shop unless I really need to. I know this maybe difficult to address since all horns are different and my horn may have another issue contributing to the less then quick action, however, I thought I'd ask anyway. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!:thumbsup:

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Buy new Strad springs and switch valve oil to synthetic...like ultra-pure or Hetman. I was born outside of your little town at Fort Eustis.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I would get some "heavy weight" springs. The action and feel is much more positive than with the standard lightweight springs.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Valve springs are unlikely to be a prime suspect. I would first ensure that the valves and casings are not dirty or have no scale buildup. If your last overhaul was 10 years ago and you have not mentioned any subsequent work I can almost guarantee, sight unseen, that a Chemical/Ultrasonic cleaning will completely revitalize your horn and give your Bach its characteristic "clunky" (in a nice way!) valve action.