Question concerning Flugel Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rspellman, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rspellman

rspellman New Friend

Jul 4, 2009
    Springfield, Mo.
    Hey all you experienced trumpet players, I have played trumpet for over 30 years, I recently bought a flugel horn (off brand) I have found that my range is as good if not better, but the ease of playing and the ease of my range is so much better on the flugel horn, is this typical of flugel horns? Is it the bore of the horn? Is it the mouth piece? I am looking forward to your imput and answers. Thanks, Ron

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    What trumpet and what flugelhorn do you play? That might help us all on the answering end!

Kujo

3. rspellman

rspellman New Friend

Jul 4, 2009
    Springfield, Mo.
    I play a Conn 1000B Doc Severinsen brass, and Olds NL10MS silver trumpet, the flugel horn is an inexpensive model made by BEHM. This is the first time I have played a flugel horn, I would like to have the same ease of playing with my trumpet as I have with the flugel horn. I play a Yamaha 11B4 trumpet mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece that came with the flugel horn is unmarked.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It depends on what your upper range limit is on your trumpet. I have a good range on the flugelhorn, almost as good as my trumpet range that can easily meet the demand of any big band chart. And I can get up there on the flugel with ease. Too much ease. Here is the difference, my control on the flugelhorn is not as forgiving as on the trumpet. With that said, with practice comes learned control. And I love playing "lead range" flugelhorn lines as it is a real crowd pleaser - they don't expect it, and the sound quality is more kind to the tender ears of the audience. I love reading in my reviews that "he plays the flugelhorn like a trumpet". Somehow such a performance on a flugelhorn is not expected but as you are finding out, it is very possible.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would think with range that it is luck more than anything else. All else being equal, the flugelhorn is less efficient in the higher frequecies due to bell size and shape as well as having a deeper mouthpiece. I have never played a flugelhorn with a really focussed sound in the upper register (above high c).

As far as ease of playing goes, That has more to do with you. How easy a horn is has a lot to do with how we hear ourselves when playing. Obviously your ears "prefer" what comes out of the flugelhorn and that makes life easier.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Some Standards do go above High C (e.g. Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good") but I agree with rowuk that the Flugel is not designed to be played in the upper Register as a rule.

Check out the sounds of some of the great Flugel Horn Players. Aim for a sound that you like and develop towards that sound. There are already some threads on Flugelhorn players. BTW a deeper cup is usually supplied, and will help to deliver a warmer tone, and this type of mpce does not usually give a great high range.

Ballads and slow tunes are great to practice and develop. Listen to the players you like on flugel, and get blowing. Even Maynard was not a Statosphere player with flugel, he used the range where required, but mostly Ballads...
    Enjoy the Flugel as an extra line to the bow - it adds colour and variation in a small band gig setting as well.

Cheers