Question everything

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hi Tom. I think I may have been one of the "classless morons" who mentioned that it could be a honeymoon period you were going through with the Duo-Cup. I don't think my post was either classless or moronic, and I sure didn't resort to name calling. I'm happy for you that you like your new discovery, but try to show a little class yourself.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I can see my posting has caused a disturbance, and that was my intent... because I am angry.

I am angry that we seem to have forgotten or ignored things that we knew to be true many years ago.

I am angry that there is still no way to know what size mouthpiece to play without expensive trial and error.

I am angry about the attitude that the only reason a person can't play well is because they don't practice enough or practice the right things... unless they're practicing too much.

I am angry that so many think that you have to play a large mouthpiece or play dark.

I am angry that cornets and fluegelhorns are perceived as mystical, magical instruments instead of just sounding a little different.

I am angry that we can't even use the same language to describe the note two ledger lines above the staff.

I am angry that I am so susceptible to things I've read on this forum over the years that I was more than once ready to just give up and never play again.

I am angry that I had put that mouthpiece on my face a while back and determined it was unplayable without giving it a fair chance, in part because of what I read here.

I am also very happy we have a place to share our frustrations and elations, too. I am very happy to have friends I have met and have not yet met because of this forum. I am very happy to be able to share what small information I have in the narrow ranges that I have studied.

I am very happy that I no longer have to fight the equipment and only need to fight myself.

Thank you for reading my rant and caring enough to respond to it. For those offended, I apologize. I intended to, to share what I feel. I couldn't do that without being a little inflammatory.

Tom

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey Tom,

Don't be this guy...

[​IMG]

4. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    No problem, Dale, all is good!

Tom

[​IMG]

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In the spirit of your anger, I'll post this link. You are in great company. The late great Willaim Vacchiano shared your frustration/anger of the inability to do the above.

New Page 1

John has put together a lot of info to help narrow the selection process down to where a young player can get closer to what fits better. What I like about John's approach is the individual's physical makeup is what he uses to determine what is needed. There is controversial info in here, so just be forewarned. You may have to change your thought process.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Gotta love it. The size recommended is the size of the Buescher 88-E.

Tom

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think more than anything Tom's post shows up something that we actually all say, we cannot give anything more than general advice on a forum. Most of us have some idea on what mouthpiece works for us and we can pass that on. I personally will never say a mouthpiece is unplayable (or even wrong) because it is a case of what is right for you. Local (I believe no longer with the forum) used what to me seems like a disc with a little dint in it, and I use a sharpish Wick 3C or my new love an Asymetric lead piece. There is much to be said for the advice that "you must try it and see" and frankly little to be said for calling those trying to help "classless morons". As I told someone else on here you will get a lot of advice, accept it ALL graciously and filter out that which is not for you. There is no one to blame for your troubles Tom perhaps other than yourself in a roundabout way no one on here actually plugged in your mouthpiece for you.

I hope you can accept this in the same spirit as your original post.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have beening reading this as well wondering if I dare enter the pool as well. I have to tell you Tom, you can be blunt. As far as advice goes, it is tough. If we totally stop well then I guess we shut down the forum. Yours is an interesting situation and it does give credence to finding a good teacher. A teacher with some years under there belt may have come across a case similar to yours and been able to expediate your progress.
    I have to say that my gut is alot of younger players haven't paid their dues. How many hours of Clarkes and Arban's did I go through before I got out of high school .... lots... everyday. They ask questions about mps and horns but it's really just about dedication to the instrument.
    If it wasn't you saying your result, or someone who's opinion I value on this site, I would be skeptical ( I hope that doesn't make me a moran).
    Thanks for posting... good information to know.

9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    You might like to send that m/p to Anderson Plating. You'll get back like new and much more comfortable on your chops.

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It looks a lot worse than it is... and I have one of its clones with Charlie Melk to be gold plated As We Speak.

Tom