Question everything

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Mouthpieces are like shoes.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But they usually taste better.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    A funny coincidence, I just bought all-new business casual shoes from Allen-Edmonds, one of the few companies that still makes shoes in the United States, and even better, in near-by Port Washington, Wisconsin.

It's astonishing how good the shoe-wearing experience is when you have good-quality shoes that fit properly. I now understand why my dad has a closet full of them.

Mens Dress Shoes & Casual Shoes - Allen Edmonds - Custom American Shoes

Tom

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's an individual thing and what works for the other person often works for you. My own problem with upper range difficulties started several months ago when I found my Bach 3C and 3C megatone wasn't doing it for me any longer above the staff. I went through my collection of 6,000 mouthpieces and came across a Schilke Symphony Series M2 I had boughta few years ago and forgotten about. It's roughly equivalent to a Bach 1.5 C. I worked on it for a few days and lo and behold a miracle. I'm now restored to my former perfect glory. I think as I've aged my lips have become more generous and I needed a wider rim.:-)

5. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I was just reading a biography of Bobby Shew, who for the most part taught himself when he first started the trumpet, and I quote "in playing the trumpet you have to learn to figure out things for yourself" in other words you can have teachers, helpers, or just friends tell you what to do but its you alone that has to make the move to do it and get it right what ever it is. I agree with Mr. Shew , any time in my life I had a problem, it was me that fixed it not someone else, its nice to have help and we useualy solve the problem quicker with help, but in the end we have to make the first move, right or wrong. Such is the use of different mouthpieces, you have to experiment figure it out, sometimes it costs you and you come up empty, but if it works then your a step ahead of the game, and a better musician.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with you and Bobby Shew!!!

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    so mouthpieces are like beer too? I mean of all beers Schlitz??? that's like Thunderbird is to wine as Schlitz is to beer

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    They've reintroduced the 1960s recipe and it's really good.

Tom

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's the beer that made Milwaukee famous, and "When you're out of Schiltz, you're out of beer!"
    Interesting wiki article:

Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If you can find the 60s formula Schlitz, it's well worth a try. Lots of flavor but not ponderously heavy.

A brand bought by Stroh's, acquired by Pabst, and now contract-brewed by Miller. :-)

That slogan, "the beer that made Milwaukee famous"? Originally it advertised another Milwaukee brand, Blatz. Schlitz bought it from them.

Tom