Question for all you Brass Techs.... Price check on aisle one please---

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    If I brought a trumpet into you and the ONLY thing(s) you did to it were

1) unstick the frozen MAIN Slide
    2) unstick the frozen 3rd Slide
    and
    3) provide me with new corks and felts (I will install the corks and felts myself)

Trumpet did NOT receive a "cleaning" service.

What would be the "approximate" going rate for such a job?

I don't want to seem like I'm whining, but I'm curious if the cost in my head is what shops will charge. I realize that some stuck slides require MORE work then others... if you can't narrow down to a somewhat specific price, then give me a range. The "piece of cake repair" to the "everything short of de-welding it repair"

As always, thanks for your time and insights!

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I recently had similar work done on my 1931 King Silver Tone, unstick main tuning slide, entailed unsoldering top leg to remove, unstick 3rd dump slide, expand A extension slide to tighten. Labour only cost. 1 hour $90. Very happy with work.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Every shop has a different rate depending on location.

Some shops have hourly charges, some shops have a menu of services. Some shops have a minimum charge, some don't.
    Take your horn to a shop and ask for a quote. I would never quote a service without seeing the horn in my hand. For example, the main tuning slide could just be a matter of flexing the horn slightly to pop the corrosion, or it could involve unsoldering the entire section and removing each slide leg individually, or it could require a week of soaking in oil and heating. All of these are vastly different charges.

I don't know why you would install the felts and corks yourself. This is a 4 second operation that the tech would do before he brought your horn from the back of the shop to the counter.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I never replace felts without doing a visual check of valve alignment in up and down position, I have had 2 horns serviced by 2 different shops where the alignment was worse after service than before they went in.

Regards, Stuart.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Impossible to quote, everybody charges their own rates, plus we don't know how stuck your slides are. Also why on earth would you want to get stuck slides pulled and not get the horn cleaned? Slides get stuck because they are dirty(most of the time). Get the horn cleaned while it is in the shop, or they will just get stuck again.

Also, if somebody brought a horn to me, and asked for felts for the horn but wanted to install them themselves, to save money, I would almost certainly charge them more for them. That's insulting. Many shops include felts/corks with a chem clean, which it sounds like you could use anyway.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I get calls all the time where folks ask, "How much do you charge to blah, blah, blah". They expect a quote over the phone and some get very upset when I tell them it's impossible give them a quote over the phone. An acre of grass costs are based on topography and existing landscaping.
    I write quotes all the time for work I can see.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I was just going to "like" this post, but it deserves more respect than that.
    Absolutely mm!

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I like most of what you say Mason but I can't see what is insulting about wanting to install your own felts, some people just like to do that sort of thing for themselves

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Did you see where I wrote "to save money"....thats the insulting part.

Anyway, if you don't see how its insulting, don't worry about it. I suppose I shouldn't expect everybody to understand. But, look at it like this, if you car needs new wiper blades, which are pretty easy to install, do you go to a mechanic to buy them? Or autozone? If you buy them from the mechanic, and you don't want the mechanic to install them for you, do you expect the mechanic to sell them to you for autozone prices?

The other insulting factor is, if you don't trust a repair shop to do the alignment right on your horn, and you want to do it yourself, because you know better, dont bring your horn to that shop in the first place....thats insulting too.

I guess, I don't expect anybody to understand why it is insulting, but repair techs who work in the industry will certainly get it.

10. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Thank everyone for the responses.

As far as the felts go, I asked for new corks and felts... I didn't ask to install them myself, the brass guy knows me and knows that I'm capable of doing this, but I never actually said "give me the felts on the side". I actually was expecting them to be installed when I picked up the trumpet.

As far as cleaning goes, I have my own methods of cleaning which do a pretty good job, and I always do that before I bring a horn in. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner last year that seems to get the job done (along with a tub soaking).

I bring a decent amount of horns into my Brass guy. Problem is, he often says "I'll call you tomorrow with a quote", then never bothers to call me and just does the work, so I'm often surprised when I pick up an instrument. Does great work, but communication with me is not very good unless I'm standing there in front of him.

When I picked up the trumpet yesterday, he was already gone (it was after 5pm). The work invoice just says... pulled main and 3rd tuning slides - and gives NO indication of how much time or what work was involved in doing so. I thought the price was a bit high, but once again, I don't know what was involved in pulling them. I suppose the best thing I could do would be to call him today and find out what was involved.