Question for all you old hands out there

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I have been noticing that whenever I play my trumpet, I still have a lot of air left even when I have to breathe. Basically I feel like that my .45 ml bore is not allowing me to move air fast enough. Has anyone else had this problem and can suggest a mouthpiece or something?

Thanks,

HSO

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    HSO,

Though I don't think that internet is good enough for this, but why don't you try to describe better your problem? Is it only the rim that you found uncomfy, the cup or something else? Your statement is quite vague, so try to precise....

3. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    HSO... Your subjective feeling of a need to breathe has virtually nothing to do with the volumn of air in your lungs, but is a response (primarily) to the volumn of carbon dioxide in your blood stream. When you blow into the horn you only blow a small percentage (20-30%???) of the total air (approximately 4-6 Liters) in your lungs out before the CO2 buildup in your blood makes you feel like you need to breathe (exhale, inhale) again. If you do not exhale, the CO2 in the blood cannot diffuse from the blood into the lungs and the subjective feeling of a need to breathe increases in intensity until you either breathe or pass out. I personally cannot see much (if any) relationship between the mouthpiece throat (or backbore) and your problem, but would defer to Rowuk's or other moderator's opinion relative to this... I think a better reason to buy a new mouthpiece would be because you want a new one... Good luck, JA

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    this problem is the reason why we study the excercises and etudes that we do. It's also why those etudes seem to be written to be impossible to play from a breathing standpoint! =:-) Keep practicing and work on gauging your air intake...that is, take in a bit less air when you breathe. Experiment with what amount feels right to you and verify by playing your practice studies and see if you get the right balance....

bigtiny

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Getting bloated with stale air is a breathin problem, not a mpc or horn constriction. In general it can be reduced or eliminated by taking in less air and being aware of when the passage wants you to breath. Try using less air per breath till you run out before you need to breath again. Add a little bit till it feels right and problem solved. This problem snuck up on me when I changed instrument and mpc recently and it was easy to fix once I understood what it was. Best wishes.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Larry,
    you are wrong. The flow of air can often be directly related to the horn. Try Flip Oakes Wild Thing and you will see what I mean. If you do not have excellent control of your chops, your ability to phrase goes down the drain as the air will disappear. Compare that to a Yamaha Xeno which is a super efficient instrument. If you do not excellent control of the chops, you can suffocate because the air is used in a much different way.

The answer is not necessarily changing horns, it is getting your chops and breathing in sync. The answer in NOT to take in less air or to run out before the next breath. No serious player considers anything like this. With proper control of the chops, the air issue goes away.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It seems like you're taking in air correctly ,you should always take a full breath when playing. The worst thing you can do is run out of air right at or before the end of a phrase,resulting in loss of tone and sound.What you have to learn is how to expel the old air before taking a new breath. This has nothing to do with what mouthpiece or horn you are presently using.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -------
    Hi HSO,
    From what I'm reading it sounds like you are not getting all the air out, right? This could mean that when you take in the next breath of air, you're piling it on top of CO2 which is still in the lungs. Do you sometimes find yourself full of air but needing air?
    My suggestion is to watch Urban Agnas videos on "Flow" or PM rowuk about circle of breath.
    Exhale the old air out of your lungs before you take a fresh breath.
    Hope this helps

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think if you can play for a long time and still have air left, that's good.

10. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    There is no need to do a complete exhale while playing. If you come to a rest that is long enough then do a deep exhale by all means. But having some air in your lungs when you get a chance to inhale fully will offer no penalty at all. You will not get dizzy or anything if you are in good health. And it does help to practice long passages between inhales. When I practice I often run out of air and have little left when coming to a sustained last note. Performing makes me more attentive.