Question For Deer Hunters

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I am a bit new to the deer hunting scene but some of my friends are big time hunters.

Today while driving a car in front of me hit a deer in the road. A mid size Buck. I didn't see it happen but traffic stopped and when I pulled around I noticed the poor little fella moving around a bit on the ground. It was a sad site! The fella wasn't about to get up but he was far from dead

What would you have done in this situation?

If you had a piece on you would you have pulled it out and put this poor deer out of its misery? Is it legal to pull out a wepon on the street like that? There was traffic everywhere!

I just didn't know what to do so I drove around it and off. I don't know my way around deer that well and I sure as heck wasn't going to be able to do anything. I have been told that it isn't a good idea to get to close to a wounded deer because they have one kick. I felt real bad about this whole situation. Thoughts?

TM

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That is a tough one. I would have called the police and let them put the deer out of it's misery, even if I would have had a gun in the trunk. Teh reason? If I pull out that weapon, on the side of the road, with all those people watching, shoot the deer...Some Bleeding-Heart Bambi-Loving Liberal is apt to say I handled the gun in a "threatening" manner. I don't have the time or the money to be involved in a lawsuit.

Mike

3. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Don't pull your gun out in an area not zoned for hunting nor on a public highway. One shot heard from a person not knowing why you pulled the trigger could bring the police on you for sure. A suffering deer's throat could be cut with a knife which would even be the most painless way for it to die.

Once late at night while traveling the highways of West Virginia, my head lights shown on a deer that jumped out right in front of me and she just frozen in her tracks. I hit her straight on and it smash the whole front end of my car. Mercedes are built to crush on impact; so, I was stuck on the road. A truck driver picked me up and drove me to the nearness truck stop for me to call the police and insurance company. I was telling other truckers what happened and one person seemed to be very interested as to where it happened. I think he went to pick the deer up. The deer was lying still on the side of the road with her eyes open.

Once I saw a deer shot, it fell and was moving it’s legs and the whole body was quivering. It didn’t stop quivering; so, it was shot again and didn’t stop quivering. This made me sick. I could never be a hunter. If you feel bad about a wounded deer that someone else caused, how would you feel if it was you that wounded a deer while hunting? Supposing that the deer ran away from you wounded and you can't find it? You're tracking it for hours wishing that you could find it to put it out of his misery.

In terms of killing animals for food, I think the most humane way is to razor knife cut the animal’s juggler vein on the neck leading to the brain. The blood drains from the brain, no pain, no shock, clean and peaceful. When I told one of my hunting friends that when an animal is shot, all the organs in the body start pumping in chemicals to fight the wound and that this is actually poisonous materials plus the meat is in shock. My friend said that this is what gives taste to the meat.

Liad Bar-EL

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    You don't want to approach a wounded deer, especially a buck with antlers. To try and cut its throat with a knife can get you seriously hurt or killed. Save the throat-slitting for chickens in a slaughterhouse.. Btw, every deer I have shot went down and stayed down. I know where to put the bullet..............

M.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'll chip in by saying that whereas the humane thing to do might be to pull out the handgun and put the deer out of it's misery, the police who will later arrive on the scene might not see it that way and you will all of a sudden find yourself under a microscope that you really don't want any part of. In my opinion, in this case, the smartest thing to do isn't necessarily the best thing to do. In my opinion, the smart thing to do is wait for authorities to arrive and let them do as they see fit.

And Liad, the LAST thing that you want to do is walk up to a wounded deer and try to slit its throat with a knife. There are many reports of hunters being either severely wounded or killed because they walked up on a deer that wasn't dead and it attacked them.

Mikey, I'm with you. Although I have never hunted for deer, I'm a good shot and I know where to place the bullet. If I ever decide to go deer hunting, the deer will stay down after I shoot.