question for our doctors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm a 65 yr old geezer who has the shingles, never even knew I had chicken pox as a kid. It started out like the flu and then my sciatic nerve down my right side started acting up and then in a couple of days I started getting blisters on my right cheek down my right leg on my right foot. My dr says the shingles has inflamed my sciatic nerve. My question is I'm on hydrocodone for pain and amitriptyline at night. Since I started this regiment my chops feel kind of dead and I have lost endurance. I have a couple of jobs coming up, one is a big band where I play lead and I'm not sure that I can do that. It's a little late for a sub is there anything that I can do? My dr has never played an instrument so he has no idea. Would it set me back if I stopped the meds the day of the jobs? Thanks for any input

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am not a medical doctor but I've personal experience with both these drugs vis oxycodone (Lortab) and amitriptyline (Elavil) and my thought is that it would take at least 3 days doing without to clear your system of the effects of these ... but that leaves you with the consequence of enduring the pain. Neither of them have any curative value addressing shingles or most other causes of pain other than allowing rest. Methinks you best notify your band mates ASAP, and bear with the consequences of that!

I do think so many our age (I'm 78) are not aware of whether or not we've had chicken pox as a child, and I'm not saying that visual diagnoses then differentiated such much from some type of measles. Personally, I do know that one Christmas both my now late brother and I were both diagnosed with the chicken pox and at least I've received the shingles shot.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sure am sorry to hear about you having shingles, Dave. I certainly wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Did you get vaccinated?

Am not surprised to know that the the pain meds have the effect of deadening your chops. I do wonder a little about how bad you might feel if you try to go without.

There are no capable lead players you know in Indy? I'm thinking a sub might be your best choice. Is this a big gig? The Dayton area is not that far away. I wonder if Gary (gmonady) might know of someone.

Take care.

Jim

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Sorry to read that you have shingles - I am 65 but had the shingles on my face and eyelids when i was 35. It can be pretty dangerous depending on where it is. Even though i had it - i took the vaccination several years ago. Even if you can live with the pain, it would probably be a distraction while playing lead.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Find somebody else to play the job somehow. That is the best answer, and I hope it is possible. Feel better soon.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Shingles are no fun.Had'em many years ago as a younger man. Doc put me on tetyra-cyclene to deal with it. Worked, but man, did it ever mess with my digestion. Hope you find a solution to your problem, probably be best to get in touch with the band:-(:oops:

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Big problem with a sub at this late date is that the job is a freebie. The band is used to my style of lead. I think I'll forgo the med on that date and tough it out. Thanks for the input guys.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    As you noted, the hydrocodone and amitriptyline are both pain medicines. Taking them will not shorted the course of your shingles outbreak. And stopping them won't lengthen the course.

However, if you were put on an anti-viral, such as acyclovir or valcyclovir, stopping this medicine will alter course of your shingles outbreak.

So to answer your specific question, if you can stand the pain, stopping the pain medicines probably won't "set you back".

Mike

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Mike/trumpetmd - thank you for your reply, I was on valacylovir 3x a day for 7 days. Now he is treating the discomfort. He ssid if the pain doesn't go away by next week he is going to put me on gal-something since he doesn't like me on hydrocodone for to long. Again thank you.