Question for Rowuk, and everyone else too.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Ok, lets say i'm starting over. I'm throwing the method of playing I used to use out the window and starting from scratch. I believe Rowuk said the place to start is taking proper breaths, and breathing correctly. Now I just read your thread on the kid with the problems while playing loud, and will start breathing like that. Where do I go after that? What should I start playing into my horn after I have the breathing down?

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Patric... why are you throwing your entire "method" of playing out the window?

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Not really my entier method. I"m gonna keep my chops, but I know that my breathing is wrong, and the way i strive for range is wrong. Thanks for pointing that out though... Requestion haha... Rowuk, teach me how to properly breath and keep the same relaxed breathing going into the upper registers.

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  5. Dr. Zink

Dr. Zink Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2007
    North Coast US
    I don't know if this may be of any use to you but a flute teacher once told me to note how you breathe when you are laying down. Apparently the body naturally has little choice but to breathe correctly when in that position. Recreating that when in a playing posture however, as I have found, is not necessarily an easy thing. A good experiment nonetheless.

Dr.Z

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Dr. Z, you should check out the above link too.. you might find it interesting... goes along with what that flute teacher was saying!!

7. Dr. Zink

Dr. Zink Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2007
    North Coast US
    Thanks, it does look interesting. Surely much food for thought if not practice. Sad to say it's also a topic I never really delved into. Never too late I suppose.

I'll tell you, I remember from my initial college days as a music ed major (dropped that real fast in favor of performance/history) way back when, that flute class was a real eye openner as far as breath control was concerned. See how long you can blow a steady tone on a beer bottle! The first isn't so bad, but after five and six... but I digress.

Dr.Z

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    lol... I've come close to passing out trying to play the flute... I have nothing but respect!!

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Patric, I see you hail from California.

Maybe a referral from TM's own Ed Carroll as to someone local who could help you in your endeavors?

10. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    that may help... Do you happen to know anyone located in Sacramento that may be able to give me lessons? possibly free if there up to it since monies is really tight right now haha.