question for rowuk on mpc diameter

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by cvayda, Oct 7, 2018.

1. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    Rowuk,
    I respect your judgement so I want to ask a question: How does one know if the mpc inside diameter should be larger or smaller? I went to see Phyllis Stork of Stork mpcs to work out some issues related to loosing buzz and she said I need to get more lip into the cup. Do I need a wider diameter? thanks

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are many here with the practical knowledge and experience to help with this. I personally see no correlation between losing buzz and mouthpiece size (unless your lips are swelling and touching the bottom of the cup). I am also not sure of her context about getting more lip into the cup, so I can’t comment.

If you are losing buzz, something is causing that. It can be pressure, swelling, crappy breathing habits or many other things. Generally speaking, if your chops are in good shape and “ignite” easily, there are no problems.

I suspect mechanical issues - too much armstrong. We don’t fix that with a bigger mouthpiece. Search on my “Circle of Breath” here. That documents an easy way to consistent chops.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I would follow up with Phyllis

She knows what she is talking about

4. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Do you mean loosing, or do you mean losing? Loosing would make no sense.

5. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    Sorry, I typo'd. I did in fact mean LOSING :-)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    BigDub likes this.
  6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    It doesn't sound like Phyllis, according to you, said anything about changing the mouthpiece size. Did she?

Pete

7. cvayda

cvayda Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2008
    Pete, No, she did not - directly. She noticed that I was setting my chops, then taking a breathe, and resetting mpc on the red of the upper lip. She said, "don't do that" ! She sold me and said I should use a 1.5 E+ 28T (which has a wide diameter and wider than the Callet 17s I was using) but I found it didn't work for me. So in effect, she changed the size. Maybe I should revisit it.

Kang-Ling likes this.
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    upload_2018-10-13_21-2-34.png
    Hey, BigDub... cvayda better be paying you union scale for editing outside of your contractual arrangements!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe you shouldn't be buzzing. Have you tried phhooooowwww? It's the only method I know that give the most controlled, reproducible sound and leads to an endurance level that leaves buzzing way back at the starting line.

Buzzing is so overrated!

theo van kampen and GeorgeB like this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check this out... Buzzing may be the cause of your problems:

trumpetsplus likes this.