Question for the Docs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Might as well ask what is it about coupling with a lovely woman, or driving a fine sportscar that produces the same effect....

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Wait, you can't? Crap...

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM (Gary) -- has a gig at Little E's tonight --- I think he will respond tomorrow!!! ----- the dude has an editor, and look he also has a FAN CLUB --- (I'm the unofficial president, you can send your membership dues directly to me!! ))) ---- ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nope, the Little E's gig is tomorrow night so there is still some time to get your reservations in.

I tell my students at the end of the day, I am heading home to blow my brains out.
    To my wife I say, "I'm locking myself into the room for my psychotherapy".

I also agree it's less about neurotransmitters or hormones as it is about just doing something different. By the way, you know how to make a hormone? Don't pay her!

SERIOUSLY:
    Getting your mind off the mundane day that followed it's way home with you is a great stress reliever. (OK this does have to do a bit with GABA receptors) The left brain is put on leave, and the right brain comes out to exercises. So the mind becomes ballanced. You get to coordinate breathing with airflow which is a Zen thing. I mean we are talking spiritual... pure spiritual... That is why we feel good after we play. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We start out experiencing music with our right brain, and when we become musicians it becomes a left brain activity. The purpose of Zen, I believe, is to so confuse our left brain that the right brain takes over. I'm grateful that my urologist is left-brained and that she has small fingers.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... But if she were right brained... Think of the beautiful music she could perform while doing a prostate exam.

As I have noted before, my urologist is named Dr. Yohannas, and when doing my last exam upon inserting his digit, I exclaimed, "Wow, Yohannas up my butt"... which resulted in right brained laughter from my urologist... smaller fingers at that instant would have been a preferred asset of my urologist.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks, I previously heard that incorrectly, and it had something to do with switching out napkins to Brillo pads, or something like that ---- but hey, who remembers a good joke anyway ------ gee, whiz, it that my left brains artistic thougts, or my right brain not connecting the dots to my left brain???? wow -- no wonder someone said (2 heads are better than one) --- maybe they meant, (2 lobes of your brain are better than 1 )???? ----- ugh, now will this dilemma effect the endorphins that help me feel good about my playing???? what if I run before I play, so I get endorphins into my brain - even before I play -- then I will always sound GREAT!!! uh oh, back to my human Physiology book to find out more answers ----ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    So, then, it's settled. We don't really know.