Question for the techs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I noticed today that I'm getting water in the bottom valve caps, enough that sometimes it will drip. On at least two occasions, I've had water coming from the bell, too. That can't be a good thing, can it?

Thanks!

Mark

2. Clarion

Clarion New Friend

Oct 3, 2010
    N.E. Ohio
    Good question. I'm having pretty much the same issue (or worse) with my third valve.

I'd like to add....If it is a leaky valve, can it be repaired?

I'm not a tech, but I imagine the water coming out of the bell is likely condensation. If you play a horn that's a little too cold, that's going to happen.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Condensation is the culprit. In the case of the valve drain caps dripping water, that can be caused by the valve oil used. Some valve oils seal the gap between the piston and the casing better than others. The ideal condition is for the vast majority of the condesation and a small amount of the spitum to be contained in the tubing and delivered to the water valves for ejection. Some valve oils are prone to mix or emulsify the oil and the water, this can go either way, messy in any case.

OLDLOU>>

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This happens on my horns where the valves are worn. It probably doesn't change the response of the horn, but rather the response of those that wash your shirts and trousers.............

The solution can be a different valve oil, or a valve job.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There use to be a product called a Grime Gutter that fitted over the bottom valve caps. It kept the leakage off your clothes.

6. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Thanks everybody!

Mark

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I have the same problem (not really a problem) about water in the bottom valve caps, just wondering does valve oil have a shelf life
    cheers chenzo

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I get it coming out the bell occasionally. I have a Getzen so the valves don't leak out the bottom on my pants. Read here somewhere, it's caused by over-blowing the horn. It' not a problem with the horn though. Think the grime gutter thing can be bought at a local music store. Just a word of caution. If your horn does leak and you don't do the maintenance on the grime gutter thingy, It will mess up the finish of your horn just like a valve guard will.

9. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    My water problem is all of the above plus I get leakage out of the lead pipe where the tuning slide go in.

I guess thats what I should expect from a 1947 Selmer Grand Prix.

Needless to say my shoes get drenched. !! :-(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hope not!:-?