Question for the techs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    A good repair man can expand the inner slide for a tighter fit.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Or just use thicker grease like anhydrous lanolin.

3. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that, if that don't work then I guess the repair man is next.

4. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    Happens to me too. I don't think it's that big of an issue- I just empty them out once in a while. Unless you can't move your bottom valve caps, in which case you should get a Grime Gutter. :-)

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

If you can't remove the bottom valve caps on your trumpet it belongs in the shop!!! The grunge and filth collected there will damage the finish fit of the valve pistons in the casings. Most techs will remove the caps for less than $10.00, unless the threads are damaged by cross threading. I have always advocated that the top and bottom caps be unthreaded and the threads treated to a drop on each with the valve oil that you are already putting on the pistons. NEVER oil the valves from the bottom through the drain holes. If this is your incorrect method you are just washing detritus from inside the cap up onto the valve pistons, a very good way to wear out the valves early.

OLDLOU>>

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oH no! you mean when I practice for an hour or two -- water isn't supposed to come out the bell?? I thought that was normal -- it has always happened to me, no matter what horn I play.