Question How long should beginner practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Oct 20, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am comeback player of some 15 + years I have only been playing since this past Feb. so I guess I am a beginner again how long should a beginner practice my teacher suggested 15 minutes rest 1 hour or so then back for another 15 minutes then rest then back again , :play:

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    If he's your teacher, I'd listen to him. He knows what's good for you. But, usually that is what people here at TM say they do. 15-30 mins then rest....then 15-30 mins...then rest...etc! It's good for you too, doesn't put strain on your chops and you don't wear out.:-)

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I was just wondering about those 2 questions. I respect my teacher I was just curious how many years are you still considered a beginner and what other players who are beginners consider a good amount of time to practice the trumpet,Thanks Anthony:play:

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I'm on the comeback trail too-almost a year into it. I practice an hour a day-long tones, pedal tones, slurs, scales, buzzing, etc, and some etudes too.:play:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If one intelligently practices, you can get built up to 4-5 hours a day within 4 weeks.

It makes no sense to play with the brain turned off, so my rule of thumb is to practice as long as you can really concentrate. With some players that means 500 x 20 seconds spread over a day and with others 3 x 1 hour with only short breaks.

To get decent, you need at least an hour a day, to get really good 3 hours/day, to start cleaning up 5 concentrated hours.

Most important is to realize that repetitions are the answer. you need thousands of repetitions to earn things. The more that you want to be able to play, the more time that you must invest. My beginning students need an hour/day to get through what they get assigned in lessons and additional time for any ensemble stuff. The more advanced players get assignments that fit in their daily work/school schedule. They are not full time trumpet so we try and optimize the experience individually.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you Rowuk But do you mean beginners can work up to 4 to 5 hours or did you mean some one that has been playing longer than say a year :-)Anthony

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I think it's got to do with how you feel how much you could practice. I, for example, have been back in action after about 2 years since 2 months ago. Started at like 20 minutes, rested 20 minutes and did it like that for 4 times a day.

Then I made the sessions longer, till after about a month started playing 2 hours long sessions etc. Now I can go for 3 hours, even 4 hours, BUT "rule of thumb is to practice as long as you can really concentrate." So rowuk says that you should practice as much as you feel like it. If you can't concentrate, things start to go wrong, take a break.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009