Question I need help answering regarding Strad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Nov 11, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    OK I do play some trumpet...and this person asked me this question..but I am not knowledgable enough to give her the proper answer...I would like some help. Thank you.

Hello, could you give some information on the tone difference between a model 37 Strad and a 43? Since you are a trumpeter I thought you would know. Also is a reverse lead pipe easier to blow? Thank you. I played long ago and am interested in a Strad. I have a Conn Connstellation.

2. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    The numbers 37 or 43 are arbitrary numbers that refer to the bell taper. The 37 has a more gradual taper than the 43, which has quite an abrupt flare at the end of the bell. To me this mostly just affects the shape of the sound, the 43 bell sounding a little narrower.

As far as the reverse pipe situation, it gets a little tricky. Most people would say that the reverse pipe does indeed make the blowing a little more open. I've discussed this exact question with Fred Powell whom said that the actual benefits from the reversed pipe in itself are almost negligible. However, by putting a reversed lead pipe on the brace between the lead pipe and the bell is generally moved back closer to the vaves in order to accomidate the different pipe. Because of this there is more length of bell to vibrate and hence a difference in sound.

Also the more/less open blowing issue can be attributed to many factors other than just the pipe. You can have a reverse lead extra large bore horn and not have your valves aligned and then your horn may be incredibly stuffy. There are just to many variables to consider. Hope all of that at least helped a bit.

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks much for the reply. This will help in answering her question. ;-)

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    The Bach reverse lead pipe models also have a lightweight body with standard weight bell. The difference in the 43 and 37 bell is generally in the ear of the beholder. The industry standard is the 37 bell, ML bore with the standard leadpipe. If this is the buyer's first pro line horn and they want a Bach, this is the one to buy.

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

In my experience the 43 blows bigger and is harder to control than the 37. It is a little easier to make an ugly sound with the 43 and vice versa.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I currently play a Bb with a 37 bell, but I have also owned strads with 43 and 72 bells.

The 43 was brighter than the 37. I also found it to have a little more projection.

The 72 was a great lead horn, but I could only play it for about half a gig. It is a big horn and it takes a lot out of you to play it for long periods of time. I found it easy to blow the roof off with this horn, but very hard to play at lower volume levels.

While I'm at it, I liked the 65 bell, but at times I found it to be very "tubby". Wow!!! That horn had a beautiful sound. I often wonder what a Monette Flumpet would sound like with a Bach Strad 65 bell on it???

I didn't like the 25 bell. I found the sound to be very small on that horn and if I didn't hav a microphone I don't think much sound would have made it to the back of an auditorium.

7. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    When I was 14 I got my first nice horn, which was a ML Bach 37. It is a great all around horn, but I have to say that for someone now looking for a relatively inexpensive all around use type of a horn, a Xeno would be great. If the price is too high, maybe consider a Zeus. For the money, the Zeus is just a fabulous instrument.

As for the difference in the 37 and 43, I experimented on a 43 in college and what it did for me was the 43 had a lot brighter sound. The sound also seemed to diffuse faster, if that makes any sense. I still wouldn't use it as a lead horn, for me, but for jazz the 43 bell I think is better and more of the desired sound. You can get the lightweight model and it should add a lot more zing to the horn.

The reverse leadpipe thing, I never really caught on or cared for it... It is supposed to be more consistant and more of an even (easier, if you will) blow, but I never noticed a thing. I tried a reverse leadpipe bach back when I played on a modified bach 37 for everything and there was no difference in tuning, sound, nothing.

I hope this helps, but I think the bottom line is you should play test anything before you buy. For some people the reverse lead pipe might make a huge difference, same with the 37 vs the 43. Play test them and see what works for your approach would be my advice.

V/R
    Joshua Sullins

8. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I have 37's and a 43 that I got new in 1972. I feel that it has a beautiful opulent tone that really sparkles when playing wedding or church gigs better than the typical 37. All in all they are more similar than they are different. I think the 43 is incredibly under rated horn that can do it all. It is my Strad of choice. I would stay away from the lightweight 43, it is less vesatile and can be a bit shrill sounding. I belive it has been descried as zippy. The reg 43 with std 25 leadpipe is my weapon of choice for blend in an ensemble or for orchestral/symphonic work. It can fill a hall quite well.

Tom

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The whole concept of reversed leadpipe is the increased length of tubing allowing more room to lock notes. This mouthpipe also can affect how the blow feels, as the air flow isn't interrupted before it reaches the tuning slide, but seems to "fall down" into the crook. Some people also think these pipes make notes harder to bend.

I personally LOVE the sound of a lightweight 43. Very compact, sparkles instead of rings (which I liked; many lightweights I play "sizzle"). However, it can get an OBNOXIOUS sound if pushed. :D

Van