Question on building up and long rest periods

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Jun 25, 2010.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I like that last one: rest as much as you play. The older I get, the truer that is. But it is hard to do, when one wants to get better and play more. So the different kinds of practice suggested by Rowuk are one way around taking time completely off and taking a whole day off another. Both should work. Also, are you doing any cool down after these gigs--long low tones, pedals, etc? The finish to any hard work out should include a cool down to help get rid of lactic acid build up in muscle from the workout. And, how about icing for awhile when you get home from the gig? Should help reduce swelling. Guys I know also take ibuprofen to reduce lip swelling.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The old saying is "rest as much as you play". Some of us do not have that luxury.
    I play alot and here's what I find:
    If I take time off (couple of days max.) then when I come back my sound "seems" better but my endurance suffers.
    Here's what I've learned, "Conservation".
    I've learned to conserve and not play every note on every improv solo and not play with so much energy on every song.
    The result is that I learned to pace myself and in the long run the stuff I play is MORE musical because its not all 32nd notes coupled with double high G's.
    I think that the necessity to conserve (because of the long gigs I do) has also resulted in me "singing" more through the horn instead of using the horn as a musical weapon.

3. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Well put Markie! "... "singing" through the horn instead of using it as a musical weapon."

Playing musically is always appreciated - by the audience, our colleagues, and our chops :)