question on lip slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    in my routine (long tones, scales, lip slurs) the lip slurs take by far the least amount of time. i do three excercises. so for all of you reading this, how long do lip slurs take you and how many excercises do you do? <add in any other question that makes sense that i'm forgetting but will remember later and kick myself over> haha.

thanks in advance

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I usualy spend a good 15 mins or so of my daily warmup on lipslurs.

I start with an excersize called "Shwarmma" (i'm sure others have differant names for it) Basicly I start on 2nd line G and trill down to the F# a few times, then I play the same pitches but without the fingerings, I lip up and down the half step. Then I repeat it going F# to F, then F to E, E to Eb, ect...

Then I go into some basic lip slurs like just going from 2nd line G to low C, back and fourth going down the valve series. I just keep building it on from there untill I'm sluring up and down my whole range, doing different patterns and everything.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not knowing how long you've been playing or how long you usually practice it is hard to give you any sort of an answer other than "yeah, that feels about right."

Long tones are giga-important, as are scales. Lip slurs are an important part of flexibility -- being able to get from one note to another quickly (even when playing slowly). Being able to move quickly is only good if we have a great destination, and long tones help us achieve stability, consistency and a pleasant, expressive sound -- they provide us with a great destination.

Don't forget to add listening to your practice routine -- listen to others live, or recordings, or most importantly, to yourself,so you can recognize what great destinations sound like.

We do all this so we can make music, the story that unfolds as we travel to these different destinations. Become a good musical storyteller, and you'll figure out pretty much by yourself how much of what you need to practice to become more accomplished.

Have fun!

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Vulgano Brother,

I love that concept of 'destination'...implying a journey I guess, note to note phrase to phrase. I just may have to 'borrow' it, with your permission.

Regards,

Trevor

5. jbowman1993

jbowman1993 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'd recommend you incorporate some lip flexibility studies into your daily practicing. 10-15 minutes would be a good amount of time, and you would see steady progress. Make sure you are studing with a good private teacher, who can help.

A great book for students is Earl Irons - 27 Groups of Exercises (Southern Music?), which starts with basic lip flexibilities, and gradually advances.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is great advice....

I too; like the idea of a musical destination. What a great concept!