Question on Low range of the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Nov 4, 2010.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I see forum threads practically everyday on how to develope one high range. I believe the low range is as important if not more impertant. My question is how would someone go about solidifying all aspects of the lower range including tuning,multiple tongueing, pedal tones, and the extreme need great intonation of the lower register?

2. gelatinshoehorn

gelatinshoehorn New Friend

Aug 28, 2010
    Wow ! Zero responses in 3 days ! What an opportunity. Here's where an enterprising low-note jockey could really establish themselves as the lone expert in a promising new field !
    OK . Joke over. I agree with your premise. Very important skills to develop. I'm really not this famed low note expert you might seek, but I could share some ideas that seem to have worked for me. I prefer to concentrate on the entire range of the instrument. Work on higher notes at the same time I'm working on lower ones. The key for me being the idea of having one embouchure. I've known a lot of people , including myself, who've let things slip a little to get those lower notes to sound fat. THis is a bad idea. I've had the most luck with studies that include octave, or even multiple octave skips. High C down to pedal C and back... that sort of thing. Really hard to do. Really important to work on regularly.
    This is probably not anything you don't already know. Just something I thought I'd mention because it's worked for me...and because nobody else has said ANYTHING AT ALL !
    good luck,
    -S

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There were no responses because this was admittedly a troll thread, and at that, posed a ridiculously broad question.

4. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I personally don't think it was a troll thread. It covers from the f# to possibly the E in the staff. I have seen threads that cover the entire High register on the trumpet and have gotten a better answer that I have even recieved. I am just speaking about how to developed quality intonation the the low register while also keeping the notes equal in volume and strength. If you thought I was trolling you could have at the very least told me I was doing so.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Playing down there with a balanced embouchure (not the method, just in general)
    Keeping good support throughout and still hearing all of the pitches. The "slots" are a lot bigger because of the nature of the overtone series, but you still have to be as right-on with every pitch as you do anywhere else on the horn.
    And as far as tonguing, keep it light, otherwise it gets thuddy and muddy

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I thought it was a good question. Relax the embochure a bit to get the most out of the low end. I love the low range of a trumpet, can sound trombone like when it's really rich. WHY jazz guys don't spend more time down there is totally beyond me, I really don't get it. F# to the bottom of the staff is being neglected.

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    2 words: pedal. tones.

8. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Go buy a Clark Technical Studies book (if you do not already own one). Open to the 4th exercise. And practice.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm. Practice? Heard it can do wonders, you could even sound better! ROFL Does seem like a "trolling" question. If you already think it's more important, then you've researched the topic. The only way to solidify ANY aspect of trumpet playing is to practice. Nothing quick,flashy or special about it. It just has to be done, and done routinely.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Hey, if you throw out your slides, you can hit that Db.

Maybe people practice the high range more, because there is more to be gained. Once you get that low note, where is there to go, on the other end you can always go higher.