Question on Low range of the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Nov 4, 2010.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Exactly, it is far too broad in that all aspects of practice will ideally result in "solidifying all aspects of the lower range including tuning,multiple tongueing, pedal tones, and the extreme need great intonation of the lower register", especially given that the low register you idefined implicitly as being the antithesis of the higher register.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, the low register is more important. The problem is that the kiddies aren't always interested in music. They are more interested in showing off in a way that only they think is cool. We have a lot of kiddies here.

The secret is in superior body use. When the player is really relaxed, you can really bark out that range. I use my Circle of Breath to help players that I work with.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Getting a richer sound in the lowest range of the trumpet (below the staff) is for me like changing from an alto sax embochure to a tenor sax embochure. When you play these two saxophones, going back and forth is a matter of loosening up or tightening up on what is otherwise essentially the same embochure. Your embochure for the lower tenor sax has to be easier, loosened up, with a little bit less pressure to sound full and rich.

Turtle

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think anything below Low F# is considered a pedal tone.
    Tuning for me is a matter of adjusting the lips for me (my tuner works to show what is in tune, and what note it is) - however it is not easy for me to hold an eight count lower pedal in tune -- I might need some practice.
    Pedal tones help me to relax the embouchure and get the feel for the vibration -- which helps me to adjust for having light pressure of the horn on my face for all the other ranges.
    I can't really tongue those pedal notes efficiently.

and PEDAL tones will impress people!!!! I did a gig last January and played about 8 Pedal tones -- and the comments after that gig were.

"man I have heard high notes, but I have never heard the trumpet go that low ---how do you do that?"
    "wow, that was seriously - good, I mean you hit Low notes that nobody has ever heard" (((umm, people have heard those notes, probably lower than mine -- just these particular people never had heard Pedal tones))))

so --Yes there is apparently a place for these tones -- maybe I can play Mary had a little lamb or something next time --- that would be cool.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    It's still range. And the old jazz guys were proud of going lower as well as higher, than most musicians.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Alex,

Yeah, I'd love to hear more of this low range. So far, my fav is Lee Morgan. When he plays in this range of lower notes, I can imagine that in person the walls shake.

Turtle