Question on Note Taking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, May 19, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So during jazz band one day, I remember our percussion director (who does the jazz band) walked around and complained about how we took notes, I understand you take them for your benefit, but i've changed my style over the years so much that when I go back I cannot find what I ment in the notes, although then I knew what I ment. If there is some uniform system that is widely accepted I would like to know it. He said something along the lines of if you circle a note that means get rid of it etc. Since I am now out of school and forgot to ask Im askin yall.

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Vague question? If you mean taking notes in music that's fairly straight forward. If you need to play louder, add an f or two and circle it. If you're cutting something out, give it a scribble. If you're repeating something a few times write in something like re 3x.

Hope this helped. Let me know if I misunderstood the question :p

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Like a universely accepted way to note taking, kinda how MLA is used in eng papers, u can cite sources using other ways, but MLA is the "professional" way to do so

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Nothing like this exists for marking music. There are some conventions, sort of, but they change by genre, location, and possibly even school. Find something that makes sense to you, and use it. Just make sure you do it in pencil so when the next guy is confused, or the next conductor asks for exactly the opposite, it can disappear.

One convention I almost forgot: do not EVER write note names/fingerings above notes on the page to help you transpose. Odds are, I'm not playing the same trumpet as you. It's unnecessarily confusing.

I once went through an entire eraser on a D trumpet part that someone decided to play on Bb. I was, of course, using a C.

Stuart

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you take notes, what will the person in your chair read next year? You should definitely leave them. Sheesh!

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    How many notes do you take? I've always been an advocate for marking a part where I've felt it was necessary - a bad pencil is better than a good memory any day in my opinion. Having said that, the markings I have used over the years have all been pretty simple and usually follow basic music notation. In rare instances I draw an arrow, or write "LOOK" with little eyeballs in the O's, but most of the time, notes in music can be taken care of with standard notation.

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    What's even better is when somebody writes in incorrect fingerings for the trumpet they're playing :-P

I think a good system is to, when you get a part, photocopy it. Keep the original at home in a safe place, and use the photocopy for practice/rehearsals/concerts. You don't have to worry about it getting lost or rained on, and you can mark it up however you want. And, bonus, you can file it away when you're done so the next time you're called to play that part you already have it, along with all your notes.

8. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Back in my less-serious college days, a buddy and I were stand partners in concert band. We always came to rehearsal with what we called "The Invisible Pencil". We would keep the "Invisible Pencil" on our stand and use it to mark our parts with "Invisible Notes" that our Director gave us. Since the back of the music stand always hid our "Invisible Pencil", the Director just assumed that we were marking our parts with the rest of the section.

That was, until the rehearsal where he stopped the Band and quite annoyed asked us, "Trumpets! You're still playing that part wrong. Didn't I already give you that correction?"

WHOOPS!!!

Needless to say, we went diving into our cases for a real pencil. ROFL

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    heh... I've been in sections where we'd pass the invisible pencil down and back... lol

seriously, I , like trickg, use unconventional markings... things that catch my attention everytime I play the music. Arrows and profanity work well. . sometimes I'll see a piece of music recycled up to the music rack after a few years, and I'll think I've never played it, until I see all the notes I made previously.. lol

J

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I know that some people might get all up in arms about copyright and such, but I consider photocoping originals and leaving them pristine while marking up the copies should be considered fair-use. This is precisely what I do.

Often the parts are very old and fragile. Another few weeks in and out of my case pocket would do them in, so a copy prolongs the life of the original. I give the parts back to the conductor/librarian, and in the unlikely situation where I somehow forget my music, the originals are there with him/her. (it HAS happened, and most recently was a time that I HADN'T returned the originals yet... I had to read off of a spare score. No fun!)

If you REALLY wanted to live with the spirit of fair use, you'd destroy them after you're done performing them. I prefer to "lose" them in my files. ;-)

Guy