Question on P.E.T.E usage opinions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Apr 13, 2010.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    So, I was wondering, whether or not I should get this relativily appealing tool. However, in a past post, people were very harsh about it. Of course, it was probably just a kid looking for a way out of practicing. . .

Me being me, I wanted to know what you would say if the P.E.TE. was used to boost endurance, after a players normal practice routine.

What I'm trying to get at is, what if it was a tool used for increasing range and enduranceafter one has "done his homework"? What would you say to that?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, you will hear this from others, so - If you have done your homework, range and endurance will increase just fine w/o other aids.

That said, I use the P.E.T.E at the opposite part of my day from playing, in the morning when I don't get a chance to practice before work, and before bed when I have been able to put in some good time on the horn earlier -morning or whenever, just not right before I go to bed (which is fairly often).

I think it reinforces good practice, but is not a substitute for it.

veery

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I'm a professional trumpet player. I'm also a full time music teacher.

My schedule allows me a good hour of practice DURING the school day. I have 1 hour long warm-up/maintenance routine I do every morning before school. I typically put in 2-3 hours of practice every night.

I like the PETE for those times at school when I'm super busy...i use it for about 10 minutes. I feel like it's a good chop exercises while I'm OFF the horn during the day.

It's true...you don't want to REPLACE practice with it, but it's a good reinforcement tool when used properly. I'd recommend it to anyone with a day gig. If I were back in grad school, and practicing 6 hours a day, no WAY would I use it...but it's a great tool for me!

Give it a try, and if you experience negative results, stop using it...simple as that.

LE

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I'm presently unable to play due to dental issue, but I started and continue to use P.E.T.E. to keep my lip in shape for the moment I resume ... and I feel it is doing so. As said, it's just a 5 to 10 minute exercise which I work in, give or take, presently 3-4 times a day. Were I playing 1-2 hours daily, I'd probably reduce such to a 2-3 times daily. Too, I feel it would be best at opposite times of playing vis if you play in afternoon, use early in morning, if you play in evening use around lunch.

5. opus

opus New Friend

Feb 10, 2010
    I use my P.E.T.E. after playing or practices, usually at the very end of the evening. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending on how tired my chops are.

6. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    There's been a lot of justified admonishment in TrumpetMaster lately to PRACTICE and not spend so much time looking for the magic mouthpiece, horn, tongue-arch technique, etc.

Posters on this thread have been cognizant that playing trumpet it the most important way to become a better trumpet player. AND, there is nothing wrong with training your body using techniques that don't look exactly like trumpet practice. Using a P.E.T.E. device to strengthen your embouchure muscles is not unlike the training value for athletes of weight lifting, dance, stretching, etc. to condition their bodies to perform better.

Those of us who can't take our horns to work can find good use of P.E.T.E. and other products and exercises to condition ourselves, being mindful that there is nothing better than actually playing the horn.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi degree,
    Yes it looks like a very interesting device. I looked at the website and I think I may have a cheaper and just as effective idea(no kidding):
    Take a flat button about the size of a nickle and attach it to a sturdy string. Tie a loop on the other end of the string to put your finger through (so the button won't be swallowed or if it is, it can be retrieved). Needless to say, I'll be putting one together just to see if the idea works.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Markie;

First, your button should be about 3/8" diameter. Second, it would placed in front of teeth to pull against the lip but not out of them, and I suggest, not only centered but from edge to edge. That done for only 5 - 10 minutes, you'll have completed only half the exercise. Too, again the specter of plastic chemical content of a button is raised.

P.E.T.E. is made of surgical stainless steel. It is an isometric exercise to strenghen the lip and facial muscles ... but is NOT intended to substitute for practice, nor IMO with it. I'm certainly making full use of mine while I'm unable to play.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Thanks Ed,
    I'll look for stainless steel buttons around 3/8" in diameter. I never thought about the poison plastic problem. Thanks for giving me a heads up about that. I can see the headlines if you hadn't told me about it:
    "Man whacked by toxic button"

10. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    People drink liquids through plastic straws all the time. How have we survived so long? :-o