Question on P.E.T.E usage opinions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Apr 13, 2010.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The PETE's I've found come in either silver, gold or Delrin Plastic. Delrin has been used for years for mouthpiece rims. I'm not so concerned about putting plastic in my mouth - without my nightguard I would have tension headaches and ground -down teeth, and that plastic hasn't killed me yet!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    THANKS Flugelgirl, I stand corrected. Indeed mine is silverplate and It's working. Sorry to hear about ground down teeth ... my wife also wears nightgaurd and snores heavily so I wear ear plugs.

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    :lol::lol: Thankfully I haven't had any complaints about snoring, but my husband has allergies and breathes like Darth Vader at night, so he can't say much, anyway!
    Does the silver P.E.T.E. taste weird? I ordered the plastic one recently because I figured I might like the texture a little better and not get any weird metal tastes. Several of my coworkers have been using them with good results.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have the silver plated PETE and it doesn't taste weird at all.

5. opus

opus New Friend

Feb 10, 2010
    @ Flugelgirl,
    I have the plastic one and have been very happy with both the results and no taste at all. Best of all the plastic one is less expensive!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never have, never will. I'm not a "sucker":oops:. But, geez, the other stuff I've stuck in my mouth:thumbdown:.

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I find it interesting that I don't believe I've read one negative comment about this item. I know that not everyone buys into the "pencil exercise," and this seems to be an extension of that. . . I know my teacher has dismissed the use of the "pencil exercise," while colleagues of his, who had the same teacher support it's use.

I'm not out looking for "gimmicks," but I have something of an interest in this - however it's about twice as expensive as I'd be willing to pay just to check it out. On the other hand, if my teacher said "go get this, and use it," then I'd do so without question - it's not "that" expensive; just a lot more expensive than I would think it would be. Could be just a question of economies of scale - if there aren't that many sold, the cost per unit goes up . . .

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're looking for a way to test the concept, I recommend trying a button with a piece of string or dental floss.

Same concept but much cheaper. If you like the result then make the investment in the PETE.

9. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Couldn't you just press down valves 1 and 3...then put 2nd valve button in your mouth and pull in the same fashion as with the PETE? That requires no investment or assembly...just a thought

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And when you mess up the valve alignment of the expensive horns noted in your sig or acquire an oral or lip health infection do not cry to me or Warburton. Copycats seldom achieve the greatness even near the original and what you don't know is that what you've stated wouldn't achieve half the results at best. Perhaps, your own "nom de ...." says what you propose / suppose the best.