Question on reading music!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by askderek19, May 11, 2011.

1. askderek19

askderek19 New Friend

Apr 4, 2011
    So it really bothers me that i find it hard to read music effectivly and be able to get the right fingerings down. I know all of my fingerings now but it just stumps me when I play and i just get lost. Any idea on how to improve my reading ability?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Lots of simple tunes.
    Take some exercises from early on in Arban's and play them slowly

3. askderek19

askderek19 New Friend

Apr 4, 2011
    Good thing i have that book lol...I hear its called the trumpet bible.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its got everything you'll ever need.
    I don't always use it, as there are specific books that do similar things in better ways for me, but I always could use Arban's

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's just something that improves with time. Don't get discouraged, your ability should improve rather quickly if you keep at it.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Also get your eyes checked; you may need glasses for easier reading.

In my case I did not know that I has Astigmatism until I was in my 40's, and when I got glasses I was surprised how clearer things were; you do not know until you get your eyes checked...

When I was younger I used to target shoot, went to uni etc, did speed reading. So it was something that never got picked up early. It makes a real difference to your brain's ability to accurately read and select the right note. I was playing music in my teens and had the same problems you describe. I could play the notes, the chromatics and if I studied the piece slowly all was OK, but sight reading it all jammed up. Funny enough if I played the tune a couple of times, I could play without the music, so my ear was compensating for my reading gap.

Best of luck.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW, I agree with Dale, it does get easier the more you read and play; assuming your eyes are OK. I now have a special set of glasses for Band, good for about 2 to 3 metres. I could not use Bi-focals (graduated focals) for trumpet playing.

Reading also improves with a Metronome, so you know where the first beat of the Bar is.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think the biggest reason that people complain about poor sightreading skills is because they have never mastered the fundamentals of actually playing the horn to begin with.

Music education has evolved into "learning tunes" and preparing for concerts or events rather than teaching instrument fundamentals.

If you want to read better... learn to play better. When you quit having to think about key signatures and fingerings you can start thinking about the music.

9. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    What has helped me by leaps and bounds is a One Two punch !!!

I have been using:

Variations on Clarke’s Second Study, Volume One: 24 melodic variations through the 7 modes of the major scale, for trumpet, by Rich Willey.

NEW!!! Variations on Clarke's Second Study

Not only has improved my sight reading greatly but has helped me learn all 12 scales in various modes, major part of my practice EVERY DAY!! :play:

Highly Recommended!!!:thumbsup: By ME!!! :D

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    scales - know them by heart (up, down, and appegios) and their place on the staff -- chromatic scale also --