Question on reading music!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by askderek19, May 11, 2011.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    LOL! If you need sheet music to practice scales & clarke studies then you have not done them enough!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Any idea on how to improve my reading ability?

This one's simple to answer: Practice reading charts. There really is no quick fix. It just takes lots of practice. I would recommend setting up 25-50% of your practice time devoted to this ask. With time it will progress. Also approach the time with a clear mind. Do not let anxiety cloud your vision.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I learned trumpet fingerings before age ten. I learned to read music before age ten. I am now 64, and I still have to practice sight reading. Nothing comes without work. No one just starts and gets it right away. What seems hard now will get easier if you stop fretting about it and just keep doing it. But no matter how hard you work, there will always be more to learn, more to practice, and challenges to your ability.

That is how it works. Don't be bothered by what you cannot do. It is a waste of energy.

4. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Scales, arpeggios, and read from the hymnal one tune after another.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay... a metronone is a must .... I think learning to tap your foot (not in concert though) is really important. When people don't read well it's usually because they haven't worked on sub-dividing the beats and meticulously.
    You set the metronome on a slow temp and do everything deliberately.. pushing the valves down, tapping on the down beat.
    There are plenty of sightreading books around.