Question on teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcheze, Aug 26, 2011.

1. jcheze

jcheze New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Goldsby, OK
    Is it best to have just one teacher, or would having lessons from two teachers be beneficial (different teaching styles, point of view, philosophy, etc)?

Thanks.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends on you. If you have some common sense, occasional impulses from the outside keep things interesting.

3. jcheze

jcheze New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Goldsby, OK
    That's exactly why I was thinking. But I was worried that it might be a big distractor. Thanks

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Studying with multiple teachers at the same time can be confusing for two people will look at situations differently and for the student, it could become confusing. It would be better to study with different teachers but at different times.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My point is that you have a main teacher for the mechanics of playing trumpet. Other teachers offer musical impulses, tips on body use - COMPLEMENTARY stuff.

I have always jumped at every opportunity to work with other players. Generally this means I play some piece and they comment on what they see and hear. I have NEVER gone to another teacher just to learn to play high notes or tongue.