Question re: Use of Lower Lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Yesterday while practicing, I discovered that if I roll out my lower lip VERY slightly (so little that I cannot even tell the difference in the mirror), my sound is richer, fuller and it is easier to play at higher volumes. With my usual approach, I feel like me lips are set to pronounce and "M" sound. With this approach, my embouchure feels a little rounder, almost like I'm kissing the mouthpiece. Again, the difference is so subtle that it's not visible. Anyway, the problem is that it feels very difficult to compress my lips to player higher with this new method. I lose 1 - 1.5 steps in range with this new approach. I'm wondering if I should just continue practicing with it (hopefully gaining back my range) or if it's not a good idea. It sounds great but my lips feel so much weaker in this position. Any thoughts?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    This is something you'll need to decide. Its gonna take work regardless of which one you pick. Something you might want to do before you plunge head long into something. Record yourself using the two different methods. Is what you hear on the recordings the same thing as what you hear when you play?