Question.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Personnally I don't CLAIM anything, it's just a matter of "self-appreciation" ! ROFL

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Don't forget! A CLAIM is nothing more than a CLAM with an extra i. :lol:

Turtle

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I prefer oysters anyway.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HATE marching!!! LOVE marching music!!!

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    You "own" a note when you can play it anytime, soft or loud, in tune, at the beginning of practice/performance, at the end of practice/performance, under extreme pressure, when you don't feel well, and even when it sneaks up on you sight-reading. And for those multiple mouthpiece users, when you can get the note with your Schilke 24 when you usually use a Maynard Jet-tone but forgot to bring it along. And vice-versa.
    You don't own a note when all you can do is squeak it, only get it at certain times, and can't pull it out of nowhere with good tone, pitch, and proper style.
    Even the great players get tired and may miss notes they truly own, but those times are few and far between.
    I have evolved this thought process. If you have a part that has notes you don't "own", give the part to someone who does. If there is no one there you can give the part to, adjust the part. Take it down an octave or find a note that you do "own" that will fit properly.

Rich T.

Cornyandy likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    YES to ALL of the above!

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Sorry, I'm allergic to CLAMS, OSTERS and all the SEA FRUTS !

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

It's more okay to go waaaaay off topic if it's your thead, isn't it???

YES! The bluejay was only in shock and was able to recover and fly away. Another TURTLE SAVE.

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! got the idea from Rowuk a few years ago. I was skeptical at first (is he sending me on a snipe hunt or treasure hunt to find "prop wash")! 10 ft. of 3/8ths flexible clear pvc and you have a Bb-ish hose trumpet. Long tones and bugle-like calls are all I could do at first, but now I can play just about any note. Low notes are more of a problem. The rest are squirrely intonation wise.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    richtom, I am trying to give you rep but TM says I can't. But it can't be said any better than that.