Question.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Who knew Turtles loved birds? :dontknow:

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Oh, I did that to build up my range this last time, my new chop setting uses previously unused muscle so getting my range in shape this last round is just a nightmare.

I can still do it, not fun though.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    He says it was a blue jay, I bet it was a colourblind Turtle Dove

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I didn't read the whole thread but I'll pipe in on the original question. As with lots of multiple choice questions, I did not like any of the answers so I'll give my own.
    I prefer the concept of playing with notes rather than owning them. When can I fully play with a note? when I can attack it cleanly at various dynamic levels with consistent accuracy, in the center of pitch. When I can hold that note long enough to allow for several changes in dyamics (p to f back to p, or sfz followed by crescendo). When I can do a wide interval ascending slur, land smack in the center of pitch then stay there for a while with a good vibrato to boot. Of course, that means that my useable range extends quite a bit above the highest note allowing me that much lattitude, so I can play with higher notes, to an extent. However, this is what I need to consider full unrestricted playing with a given note. Just my opinion.

5. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I don't think i can agree more my friend! I have been looking for people to say that forever!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

And, birds love the Turtle, because he's the one who refills the feeders week in and week out. I always do it in a red shirt, so they probably think I'm the big red bird. :lol:

The same bluejay I saved, returned to the tree outside the Shed, right outside the window, and began squakking loudly. If you know birds, jays have a particular sound ... but he now sounded like he'd been smoking for 40 years. A gargled and mangled bird call if I ever heard one. He went on loudly until I came outside, at which point he stopped squakking, jumped up and down a few times. He then tried to squack, but it came out like a gag. And then he flew off. :dontknow:

I was like, "What the problem, dude, cat got your tongue?" (sorry, couldn't resist)

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Without reading all the replies:

I think that if you can be confident enough to preform it then it is in your arsenal. That does not mean someone thinking they can play the DHC when their range ends at a high D. If we went by A, my range would be a little past the DHC, all depends on what the tuner picks up. But, I would never preform those notes, ever, unless I can concur them.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    g) When you can play the note ff whenever the gig calls for it.

High D~Eb for me. The volume drops pretty quickly after that, but I can play up to DHC any day I
    am fresh. It's just not ff, more like mf.

Greg

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Red Shirt = Verry dangerous but then I like Star Trek

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's what "we" said. :D