Questions about double tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ryoh, May 28, 2011.

1. Ryoh

Ryoh New Friend

May 25, 2011
    Elizabeth City, NC
    I've been playing for about four years, and I've never found an opening where double tonguing is completely necessary. I'm a freshman in high school (almost a sophomore, exams are this week). I've tried learning to double tongue, and though I'm better than some of my peers who've made less effort, there's still a hesitant gap in my air flow and a harsh attack that I hate.

I know I'll have to learn it at some point to get as far as I want to, and I want to know how to do it. I was wondering if I should be making this a priority right now. By when should I know how to do this?
    And can anyone give me some advice to help me learn this technique better?

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    The sooner the better, right? Especially if it's required in the music you're playing. Do you have a teacher? It would really be easier than learning over the internet. If not, just do a search for "double tonguing" on here; there are hundreds of threads on it already.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I would work on two things to improve your double tonguing:
    1) Making a "ku" sound as strong as your "tu"
    2) Continuous air flow - "blow through the notes"
    The second is kind of hard to describe, but a teacher could probably explain it better - its just the image i use

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Oh and books to check out (for double tonguing)
    Arban
    Sigmund Hering Double and Triple Tonguing
    Complete Shuebruk Tongue Trainers for Trumpet

5. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Arban, Arban, Arban. Arban. That book is all you need for multiple tonguing. Also, constantly make train noises everywhere also really helps (saying tee-kee tee-kee, or ta-ka). You say you have a harsh attack- might I suggest using du-gu, as some players find it closes their throat less, and provides less accentuated articulation. Hope that helps!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Arban and a Metronome ... do one a week.. start out slow and deliberate and speed it up a click at a time. Give it tem minutes a day .. before the summer is up you should be very impressive .. it also will improve your tone .. win win
    Always speeds up the learning process to have a pivate teacher.
    good luck keep us posted .. you might even make a vid of yourself now and then go back and watch it in a few months

7. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I agree with the Arbans folks. It is also the best for method triple tonguing. My teacher in the 1970's had me learn them both during the same time frame. It was frustating at the time, but well worth the effort. (This may also lead back to the thread on tonque cramping from a couple of months ago:lol:)

I know I spent a lot of commute time doing tu-ku tu-ku and tu-tu-ku tu-tu-ku's in the car and then practicing them on my horn with the Arbans as a guide.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    It came easily for me to learn so I just dont see whats so hard about it, but two things that I want to add to those above....you can practice tu-ku-tu-ku any time without a mpc or horn so practice away. Also start out slowly and get a good airflow and even sound between the two. Increase the speed as you improve. Find places in the music you are playing to use double tounging where single tounging would still work, just for the experience. For me it all hinges on getting the toung to rock front to back on a fulcrum that produces a somewhat even beat of notes and being able to varry the speed at will. I can single toung as fast as I can double toung, I just cant vary the speed down to the tempo of the music so that doesnt do me much good except as a party trick.

Trust us...You will need to double toung at some point. Working on it will now will pay off and you will wonder why you stressed about it in the first place. Best wishes.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All of my students start on the second or third lesson with double tonguing. after a couple of months triple tonguing. They get a scale per week - single, double and triple tongued up and down. Then we do something fun like Buglers Holiday and after that comes Arban and Clarke.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or as Bachman Turner Overdrive said: Du-Du-gu, Du-Du-gu, Du-Dy-gu, Du-du-gu; You ain't seen noth'en yet...

Now there's the money maker: Du-Du-gu or Du-gu, Du-gu