Questions about double tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ryoh, May 28, 2011.

1. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
    I can't double tongue my way out of a paper bag, and have tried this method with limited success myself, but it worked well for a bandmate, so I will relate it.

He was instructed to K tongue everything he played for a week, then attempt double tonguing exercises from Arban at half tempo, with emphasis on making the attacks even in both rhythm and intonation. Start within your existing skillset, and expand in both tempo and rhythm as your abilities expand. It didn't work as well for me, but is one of his strong suits.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep trying, keep practicing. It will come with time.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]I totally agree with the earlier post which recommended working with an instructor, but if you would like some information on multiple tonguing, I invite you to read these articles…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    Brass Articulation- Why We Use Tah and Dah | The Trumpet Blog
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Brass Articulation- The Many Positions of Tah and Dah | The Trumpet Blog
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Brass Articulation- Double Tonguing | The Trumpet Blog
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Brass Articulation- Triple Tonguing | The Trumpet Blog[/FONT]

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The secret to great double tounging is to practice K (Ku, Ka, Kay, Kee, whatever!) single tounging until you can't tell the difference between K's & T's...

Guys try to practice double tounging TKTK but they can't even do KKKK without sounding like they are gagging on yam flavored baby food.

When you sound good on KKKK then gradually speed up the tempo... then you will be ready to alternate T's & K's.