Questions about practice efficiency.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lil2prove, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Lil2prove

Lil2prove New Friend

Nov 14, 2010
    Hello, I am currently a trumpet player of about 5 years. I haven't ever had any trumpet teacher, however I feel I am doing well on my own. I will be attending the University of Southern Mississippi this fall. But, with the lack of teaching that I have had, I do not have a set practice.

Every day I warm up with lots of lip slurs... Bai Lin studies and things of that nature. Lots of long tones. Since I have been doing Bai Lin I have noticed drastic improvement. However, past my warm up I don't really know what I should be doing. I practice on average about two hours a day. It is for the most part productive, but I'm not sure if I can make my practice even more effecient. After warm-up, I work a bit on the Prescott Method in the Arban. I am on the second year, since I just picked it up last year. I do not know if it is the best way to do the Arban, but it feels better than walking around cluelessly in it. I also have the Clarke book, but I am not sure how to distribute my practice in it. I don't know how to work in it. For musicality, I work on many of the phrasing studies in the Arban book, and the Bach Cello Suites. I'm not real sure what to do, or how to link them together.. Usually about an hour in, I find myself getting fatigued. Are there exercises or things I can do to increase my endurance? Just a curiousity, so feel free to ask any other questions that could potentially help you help me. I am hoping for a career in performance, and I have been told countless times that I am in the right path.

Thanks in advance,
    Lil2prove

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hoping for a career in performance with no formal training? Can't rule it out, but I would say that the odds are not in your favor.

If that is your goal than you need a teacher, not just any teacher either. There are so many trumpet players out there that are not getting work - WITH extensive formal training.

Daily practice is like a daily diet. The building blocks are long tones, scales, intervals and lipslurs, articulation, tunes and technical studies. The lions share is TUNES.

Musicality is not learned in a book, it is learned by listening to players of all types, preferably live from a distance where you can smell the brand of valve oil.

Teacher, Teacher, Teacher or study something else and take lessons in college.

Classical requires a innate understanding of the music and techniques required to get there. Jazz requires the same, but a different set of techniques.

I do know of quite a few players without formal training that noodle around. The more successful ones have had extended opportunities to perform with excellent players. That is almost the same as a private teacher!

3. Lil2prove

Lil2prove New Friend

Nov 14, 2010
    The trumpet professor at the college I am going to is a former teacher at a conservatory, and performs quite often. He is the one that told me I have what it takes. I work very hard on a day to day basis. I feel that it's not ever too late to learn.. I'm very young still, so my life is in front of me. I listen to trumpet players from everywhere and go to master classes and performances as much as I can.

I really do appreciate your input, and I would enjoy more of it!

4. Lil2prove

Lil2prove New Friend

Nov 14, 2010
    My question was just how can I utilize my practice time, and how it should be broken down. I don't want to sound rude though! I really do appreciate it.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wait until your prof has spent time with you. You have managed up till now, changing something due to unqualified internet advice (no one here has ever heard or seen you play) could hurt more than help. We are only talking about a couple of months.

6. Lil2prove

Lil2prove New Friend

Nov 14, 2010
    Well! I thank you then! Thanks for your help.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Don't be disappointed, the advice you have received is fabulous. It is focussed without offering any false hope. It recognises your achievement to date and that you have a great personal goal. The adviser is a skilled teacher, and an accomplished player. What he has given you is finer advice than many of us are capable of providing - or even absorbing. Sleep, and come back and read again, analyse the comments and apply them to your circumstance. Be circumspect with any of the advice you get - while we can't assess you circumstance, proven method will always be useful. Remember, you asked.