Questions about Trumpet Professors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet obsession, Sep 12, 2013.

1. trumpet obsession

trumpet obsession New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    I am currently a high school student and I hope to go to college in trumpet performance. I am seriously considering the Cinncinnati conservatory of Music but the reviews that I have read on Dr. Alan Sieburt are not good by any means of the spectrum. I am looking for advice on if these reviews are true or not. If they are true, then I need some advice on an affortable conservatory of music. Thanks in advance.

2. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    Well he did graduate from Michigan, so I wouldn't trust him (Go Green!) :D

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, Michigan State has a grate music program! LOL

Just something else State cannot compete with Michigan in.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Isn't Cincinnati Gmonady's Alma Mater?

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Source(s)? Link(s).

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    The problem:
    The individual is already negatively predisposed.
    ------------
    Possible solution:
    Don't go there, go somewhere else. If your goal is to be a trumpet performance major, what do you think your chances of survival are if you're skeptical of the guy who's to be your trumpet yoda, the instructor handing out the grades and the professor determining who graduates?
    -------------
    If you're up for a challenge and got what it takes (and I mean that seriously), enroll at The University of North Texas. They are tough, no nonsense, high octane, seriously competitive, extremely talented and that's all before lunch!! Just be careful that you are not jumping from the frying pan to the fire.
    For the serious music student, UNT, just like Berklee and Julliard is a top flight school and you will get a great education and be exposed to the finest musicians on the planet.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This comment shouldn't go unnoticed. It applies not only to NT. I would add that you also need to check out the physical environment of the school, e.g. big city, small town, pressures on one hand, minimal outside stimulation on the other, etc.

Regarding NT specifically, when I entered there, I had been All-State everything at home, only to find upon arriving there that practically everyone else had also been "All-State everything". :woop: If that doesn't overwhelm one, it's great training and stimulation. I thrived under that condition. "If it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger." But it can be deadly for some, as well, so heed Dr. Mark's caution.

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    A close friend of mine went through Purchase College in upstate New York and loved it He is a great well-rounded musician.

Jon Faddis is the real deal and teaches in both the Brass and Jazz Programs and is an Artist-in-Residence. He is quite awesome. Look him up.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Berklee, Great school for performance, great location....

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not convinced that studying trumpet performance in a conservatory environment is the way to go. A liberal arts program has many advantages. One can meet lots of girls and explore lots of classes, from history of the arts to acoustics, study a foreign language and still have plenty of time to practice.

Be it a conservatory or University, it is to be expected that you adopt a beginner's mind and have full trust in your professor and do what they suggest. If, for whatever reason you don't want to do that, find someone you can trust.

And, uhh, a question. Has any conservatory or college recruited you?