questions about valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jvbailey3, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jvbailey3

jvbailey3 New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    New Orleans/Baton Rouge
    Okay, first I have not played in a long time and getting back at it again so forgive my ignorance. I currently own a Silver Flair (1974). Will eventually look to get a different horn - though I do still love this one and am not interested in selling (tks for the inquiry :lol: in the intro section). While searching to purchase a trumpet for a nephew to help him out, I am seeing something about Monel valves. What are they:dontknow:? Are there any advantages? Can I purchase them and replace the valves in my trumpet with them?

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Monel are a better quality valve material, found usually in the upper level horns.

I don't know where you'd look to replace them, or if you even can. I'd think you could, though.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Is there a reason you want to change your valves?
    If you could get them, an upgrade to Monel (nickel/copper alloy) wouldn't improve your instrument, just because of the different material.
    Usually it is chosen because if its high corrosion resistance. It doesn't offer any mechanical advantage over other materials.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you get a quality horn from ANY manufacturer, they have done all of the material thinking. There is NOTHING left for you to worry about. Getzen builds a top quality horn without Monel and guarantees the valves for LIFE. No Monel manufacturer does that.

We buy instruments for their playability. Let's not give the marketing departments more concern than they are worth.

5. jvbailey3

jvbailey3 New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    New Orleans/Baton Rouge
    Just thought the action in my valves could be better. They aren't as responsive as they used to be. I was thinking about getting new springs and pads, but thought it might be better upgrading the valves while I was at it.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Monel is the hardest form of steel. Not only is it corrosion resistant but because it's so hard is easier to machine to closer tolerances without warping. New springs and pads will help. Have you given your horn a acomplete bath using a valve brush to clean out the valve casings?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  7. jvbailey3

jvbailey3 New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    New Orleans/Baton Rouge
    Give the baby a bath was the first thing I did. It had been sitting too long not to give it one. Gave it a good lube job afterwards, just not as responsive. I figure if it is over 30 years olda new set of springs and pads won't hurt. Thought maybe new valves would be better.

On a related topic is there a good place on line to purchase springs and pads?

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with the advice to give the horn a good cleaning, and it cannot hurt to put new springs in. I wouldn't be too quick to get a new horn with such a nice horn already in your possession... unless of course it just strikes your fancy to add to the stable :D

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Your horn may need a professional chem clean if it sat for a really long time with no maintenance - worst case scenario an overhaul. You don't need to replace pistons - just get them back into their origional shape! Take your horn in for a check-up and estimate - it just might need a little TLC from the repairman after waiting for you to go back to it :)

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here is the article from Getzen concerning Monel valves, and why Getzen does NOT use them.

Getzen and Bauerfeind have the best valves you can get in the opinions of many.

Getzen uses Nickel and Bauerfeind Stainless Steel.

I know that my Lawler with Getzen valves and my Eclipse with Bauerfeind valves are the two best I ever had. My Schilke was close, but those two are better.

Getzen Gazette » 2006 » March

Scroll down a bit to "Nickel vs Monel: The Battle Rages On

-cw-

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008