Questions for part time players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jan 20, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

VERY good reply young man! I think you'll find people will be nicer to you if YOU are the one who is being nice.

2. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I used to be in 6 different bands and was paid per job in 4 of them. About 10 yrs. ago I slowed down quite a bit and am only playing in 2 bands + church and all for free. Big band jobs are slowly going the wayside around here [curse the DJ's] and I actually believe I am a better player now than before. When I was playing more my practicing consisted mainly of reh. and long tones at home. Now I do a lot of scales and Vizzutti etudes. I was also subbing in a lot of local big bands not for my playing ability but because I was known as a player that adapted and blended to each band. As opposed to a lot of the younger players [who could play circles around me] I never tried to stand out but was a section player. I can think of several bands that asked me to join where as the "screamer" or lead player that subbed was not invited back. Remember to the ones starting out, try to blend - it is not "your" band, it is their band.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I think I worked with those in high school. very nice studies.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I reckon I can type with my mouth closed - if you'll excuse the tongue sticking out the corner? :shock:

6. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    I practice maybe 5-6 hours a week with my current gig, playing bass when we do Fiddle tunes and bluegrass material, and planning to do trumpet when we break into a Texas swing set. I define practice rather broadly--I have 90 minute drives to and from rehearsals and use the drive time to work out bass lines, possible licks for the trumpet, etc.

Some things you just make time for. I am am Ojibway Indian and our group collects and performs fiddle tunes historically popular in our region's Native American/Canadian communities. It's a cultural preservation thing, and a labor of love with paying gigs few and far between. Our fiddler is a brilliant young lady who's about 20, and we plan on keeping this going for a long, long time.

Yeah, Arban's can be a grind. On brass, after working out the kinks in my current performance material, I reach for Melodious Etudes for Trombone, a collections of Marco Bordogni vocalises transcribed by Joannes Rochut. As a Euphonium major at university these etudes assisted in my musical development more than any other collection of studies, and I really learned how to sing through my instrument. Even now, 14 years after beginning the study of the material in this collection, I'm still discovering new and valuable musical nuances to the etudes. I'm frankly surprised that these were never published in treble clef editions for the trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn--they are just terrific to study on the cornet.