Quick Cork Replacement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well my pocket trumpet is going on a small concert tonight, but the corks don't seem to help. It looks terrible. It is worn off so badly. I can't get corks today but any help? Any alternative quick emergency cork replacement ideas?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have used wine corks to create new spit valve corks. These days I just visit my repair man regularly and he takes care of things like this before they look bad. I do not use my pocket trumpet in concert.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I played it for my art school staff for fun. I decided to call it a small or rather mini concert... :(

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    +1

I don't have ready access to a tech short of a long haul flight, so I always pack a couple of wine corks when I return from trips to Europe.

5. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    Use a normal Trumpet. I don't know why you would want to use a pocket Trumpet when you have a regular Bb.

For corks:

https://youtu.be/vMbb8-WK_VM

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've done emergency repair with some thicker paper or a piece of match book stuck in the lever. Not pretty, but serves the job. had do this on my not so great Chinese flugle at a practice before a dance gig. Come to think of it, I need to fix another of those corks before I lose it:roll::dontknow::lol::oops: