quick help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had a much needed answer to a question until now. Here it is:

I am at a music camp right now called MasterWorks Festival in Indiana at Grace College. This week has been murder on the chops because I haven't played so much in a long time. auditions all day Monday, and Tuesday and one of those auditions consisted of a solo competition that I entered playing the Arutunian. Well to cut out the details, I am in the finals tommorow. We have been rehearsing the New World Symphony and Mouldeu by Smetna for 3 hours in the morning at 9 everyday since Monday. Like I said, practicing a ton with rehearsals in the morning and auditions my chops are sore. I've been having response issues onm the softer things in the solo and even some of the louder stuff because of playing so much and so loud the last few days. Any help besides rest that you could give me??

also any last minutes tips on playing the Arutunian?

Thanks Manny!

Jeremy Tarter

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Jeremy- I think Manny is at ITG in Thailand...and you need urgent help, it sounds like. I am not Manny by any stretch, but I would like to respectfully make a suggestion or 2.

Are you warming down at the end of the day? (I've read that Manny does not warm down...he puts Chopsaver on at the end of the evening..that might be worth a try, too).

Here's what I do when I have a tough stretch like that: play 2 note chromatic slurs beginning from low c; finger the lower note normal first, rest, and repeat the slur this time bending down 1/2 step (so you'll go C-B (open to 2nd valve) rest; C-B (this time open and bent) rest; B-Bb (2nd to first) rest B-Bb (2nd then bend to Bb) etc. Follow that with Clarke 1st study excercises beginning with low C down to F#. No louder than p.

You may also want to examine your warm-up; begin gently, and ease into more demanding stuff following a logical pattern that gradually expands the demands you place upon yourself while reinforcing what you have already established; layer your approach to the horn.

Hope that helps!

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

In similar situations to yours, I tend play as little as required.
    i.e. warm up, practice what needs looking at, and when the MD's batton is in operation, then warm down.

No unnecessary playing, competing with fellow players, high note contest, fast note contests, low note contests, long note contest, tounging at speed etc. etc. etc, 40 verses of 12 bar blues etc. (i.e. all the nonsense but sometimes fun playing that can go on between 'required' playing) !

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hi, Jeremy

When you have a big schedule with lots to play:

1) be judicious about what you are required to play versus what you sign up for as an option

2) Your warmups should be light and feathery if you have a lot of banging around to do, encourage the light vibrato in your playing as early as you can

3) some people like the pedal tones as a way to relieve stress, Patrick Hession writes about pretty extensively in "Hession's Sessions"

4) get your bell out of the stand, play up more and blow easier

5) never forget the inherent value of a full breath all of the time, not just when you think you need it. Air will get you through times of no chops better than chops will get you through times of no air.

I don't like to give "last minute tips" especially over the 'net. First, I don't have any idea as to how you play the piece! Second, you're a good player... I'm sure you're playing it nicely.

ML

5. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    All of yall are a blessing. Thanks for all the help!!

Manny just curious but is the MO concerto competition open to college students and if so when is it??

Thanks everyone, I'll let yall know how it goes!

Jeremy

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Check the website, Jeremy. There's the YPSCA competition and the WAMSO competition.

ML