Quick Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Nordslandtrompet,
    I've had the same thoughts!!! Also for one or two others on this forum!

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    wat you guys on about? Whats wrong with my posting? I play a trumpet lol alright i know what it looks like. Why you guys telling me my posting is suspicious?

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

No disrespect intended, but what end of the trumpet are you blowing? :huh:

You've been given good directions on how to finger an "A" and a helpful hint at alternative fingering. The rest depends on air and embrochure.

You even have a photo and a reference to a fingering chart.

Thought you had a teacher? Where is he? Why not ask him? If you don't have a teacher, you might think of getting one. I'm sure he/she would agree with the advice you've been given.

:play:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    I seem to recall Hitman having a teacher....:-o

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    If you read any of Hittmans earlier post you would know that he is just a 16 year old kid from down under who just started trumpet lessons.Oh by the way his posts get quite a few hits and he seems to be a genuine nice kid.His teacher probably hasn"t progressed him to middle A yet and just wants to know the fingering without being talked down to like a idot!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Hitman,

Order this book:
    Hickman Music Editions: Book Pedagogy

Also, You might get a better response if you work on your communications skills. Don't use text messaging code. Use proper Australian syntax, spelling and punctuation. You are up against a cultural divide with you being 16 and some of us being old and gray like your instructor.

Most of us can translate Australian into American, Canadian and British English. However, not all British English translates into American.

One more idea. Alex Yates runs a trumpet pedagogy forum. It might be helpful. I think it will be helpful because is concentrates on teaching trumpet. I couldn't find the link but someone will find it and post it.

Cheers.

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    I usually blow the trumpet from where it is usually blown from... i believe this is called the mouthpiece is that right lmf??

I do have a teacher, we just haven't learnt to play A or B yet! You cant compare a professional; to a beginner it would be like comparing a person that has been playing 20+ years to someone that has only been to 3 lessons. Where is the thought to that Mr. intelligent?

What did you think i was anyway? a robot on the forum ? hahah honestly you should be able to pick up a beginner and a more advanced player lmf.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

At 16 years of age (44 years ago), I may have had difficulty hitting an "A", but I knew the fingering which seemed rather basic as "fingering charts" were available then. We also didn't have the access to all of the great fingering charts and other wonderful information about playing trumpet available on the internet through forums and other sources.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Take your time. You will learn all the fingerings from your teacher. Maybe you're just excited and getting ahead of your teacher, that's ok but, you should be able to ask him these questions also. I hope you're doing well and enjoying playing.