Quick Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    "I do have a teacher, we just haven't learnt to play A or B yet! You cant compare a professional; to a beginner it would be like comparing a person that has been playing 20+ years to someone that has only been to 3 lessons. Where is the thought to that Mr. intelligent?

What did you think i was anyway? a robot on the forum ? hahah honestly you should be able to pick up a beginner and a more advanced player lmf."

Hitman,

I'm not claiming to be extremely intelligent, nor do I believe you are a robot, nor need to be one on the forum.

I wish you the very best as you learn to play. I only remind you to use a "building block" approach to learning to play the trumpet. Learn the basics and the fingering charts. Memorize them. Do the warm ups and scales. Don't jump ahead of the basics until you learn each one.

As you have been playing a short time, I would question the wisdom of "trying to play the high register too soon." Others might give you better guidance in that regard.

I may be completely wrong in what I have said to you and I didn't give you the whole "load of hay" in one response. Just trying to keep it simple for a beginner.

I mean you no ill-will, Hitman!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Hitman,

Try this site: VTS

Alex Yates runs it. She used to be here.

Pedagogy is the study of teaching.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    you may be referring to me. I posted that the type of questions that you post are not always the sign of a beginner. They can also be the sign of something that we call a troll. A troll is actually an advanced player trying to cause controversy. There are various reasons why this happens. It is just part of the ugly truth on the internet regardless of where you are.

I actually am surprised by the type of questions that you post. I have taught for many years and have students as young as 9. Some also participate in forums (in german though). Generally they post on their achievements, what they have discovered and what they plan next. There is also quite a bit about their musical interests. I find almost nothing on the basics from real beginners. Most players unfortunately get to the basics after they have become quite advanced.

I feel that there are certain things that best solved with a local teacher and that is the majority of what you have posted (I read them all!). That is not an attempt to cut you off, it is an attempt to inform you about what I think is best for players that NEED to ask the questions that you do. An open forum will give a player at that level more diversified info and less real direction. How can you determine for instance if buzzing is good or bad for your playing based on the opinions expressed here? How do you know if you are even doing it right? You don't, but a teacher can demonstrate in seconds, then there is no doubt. You claim that your teacher is a successful player, then trust him. Keep us informed about your progress.

So I remain basically suspicious on the internet. Once you start posting about yourself, your interests and your achievements on the horn, meaning you become a part of the family here, my suspicions will probably blow away. Until then, I will keep my eyes, ears and mind open.

Robin

4. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Some of this thread's how the Burden of Proof works in our Justice System as well Hitman.

;-)

:D

-If you're too young to appreciate that entirely; it only means that the TM Forum here: isn't suggesting you are being held accountable for the poor behavior of others. ..Even if that's how it sounds. -Or that you need to change how you participate here. Obviously, you'll continue as is best for you, and rightly so.

Practice, practice is all that's being said Bud. :) -Not that you arun't doing just that.

Cheers

-

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i get wat u guys are saying. Im only asking questions? Whats the harm in that? Since when is it people cant ask questions whether its the hardest question in the world or simplest. I mean i go with a teach once a week and i want to learn more thats y i joined a forum to talk about this stuff, talk about learning and then sharing it.

6. killian

killian New Friend

Aug 26, 2008
    values 1 and 2, or three (alternate fingering)

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I would seriously think about getting a different teacher.
    I was eight years old when I took my first trumpet lesson. I was taught the fingerings for the C major scale and I played a little tune at that first lesson.
    I would not allow a beginner to leave their first lesson without at least the fingerings for a C scale.
    Wilmer

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman,

Don't take offence - chill.

The lads and lassies (chaps and chapettes) are trying to get to your meaning. They WANT to answer your questions so that you can embrace what we all know as the joy of trumpet.

Lloyd talked of pedagogy - learning step by step (somewhat how we learn as children, building blocks, one gem then another, but it relies on your trust for your teacher, in fact, believing without question (initially) what is being taught. When we have some further knowledge - experience - maturity - whatever, we learn through a process known as androgogy, the comparison of "things known" with the new stuff. The only problem with that is that the basics need to be really ROCK SOLID.

(Remember Columbus' compatriots "KNEW" that the Earth was flat - and they probably couldn't play trumpet either).

So - bottom line - we are TRYING to make your basics as ROCK SOLID as we possibly can for you - but you have to help us understand the REAL Hitman.

See I'm an Aussie, and I can speak English - except after I've had a couple of beers - then I speak Braile. ROFL And a little humour doesn't go astray either.:thumbsup:

Stick with us - we are there for you - but it's YOUR choice.

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    how can you not take offence, some people are mean on this forum.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That may be so - but it only works for them IF YOU choose to take offence. Make the choice for you Hitman, not those that seem mean.

Suck what you can from the best of the TMers - and choose not to deal with those TMers whom you feel provide no value for you. Be a little careful discarding well intentioned comment disguised in sarcasm though. If you choose not to take any offence then none of them can harm you - and there are just too many well intentioned souls here to waste the resource.

Remember, always, that it is much more difficult for us all to communicate well in print than we can face to face - this is because we all have different frames of reference - different experiences - and so our "androgical processes" or the way we learn as adults differs based on who we are and were we're from. Aussies have a unique view of the world that I have not found anywhere else (and I have travelled the world - a lot).

Rejoice in our differences - be an intelligent contributor, and as you try to teach us what you know, strangely so will your own learning increase. Stick around, you have A LOT to offer, particularly to those of us who are not Aussies, who don't live in the best country in the world, and who are now a lot older than you are and have forgotten what you are starting to learn. Let us travel with you in your learning process - there is stuff I have forgotten and I regret that loss.

Stay the course - I will be interested to watch how you go. We need new trumpeters like you - you are vital to the survival of this forum. Finally, we all need to think before we speak (write), we too may be causing unintentional distress or offence through poorly chosen words. I hereby apologise for any offence I may have unintentionally caused - as for the intentional stuff well .........