Quick Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 20, 2008.

1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    If they only attack you when you are trying to play an "a" with fingering 1+2,
    there is a possible chance to calm them down by using alternative fingering 3!!!
    The "a" with fingering 1+2 is often to high pitched and this might scare them
    so they attack. By using alternative fingering 3, you can lower the pitch to their
    level, and they might be more friendly to you.
    Then you could live together in clean harmonics!!

This is the only advice I can give you at this very moment.
    Good luck!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When I press 1 & 2, I get nothing. With 3, also nothing. Actually it doesn't make any difference which buttons I push down, the same thing happens, nothing. My horn is like the one in the photo, and points to the right like it too. I also have a little funnel shaped thing I don't know what to do with. I put it on the music stand, but it is as quiet as the horn. If I try sometimes I can whistle an "A", that matches the G (she tells me) on my sister's piano.
    This music stuff is a mystery.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    See Hitman, this mob aren't so mean - but they certainly are a little weird sometimes, don't you think?

Beware the Drop Bears.

4. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Oh dear!

I am very surprised that you did not get any information at your local music store
    when you bought your new trumpet. As you should know, the trumpet is a wind instrument,
    also called brasswind instrument, and that means that you have to get some air
    into it before it can make any sounds at all.
    First of all: you have to mount the funnel shaped object together with the trumpet.
    This thing is most of the time named as a mouthpiece.
    This is done like this: Take your trumpet with your left hand, point the large hole, also called the bell
    away from you. You will now see a small tube pointing against you. In this tube there is a hole.
    Take the mouthpiece in your right hand and carefully put the narrowest end into the tube.
    Do not try to put the wide end in!
    Your trumpet is now mounted and ready to be played.

To learn to play the trumpet, you should be guided in the right direction by a personal teacher,
    but since you are asking your questions on this forum I will give you some basic information.
    I am sure a lot of the members of this forum will be happy to join into this guidance with a lot of good advice too.

#1: You need air. Nothing mysterious here. Breath as you normally do.
    #2: When you breath out, make your lips vibrate and try to copy a horse sound.
    #3: When you have made a good horse sound, narrow the aperture in your lips
    until you make a sound alike if a mouse was a horse. This is done by shaping your lips
    as if you tried to whistle, but in stead of a tone, you will now make a "buzz".
    #4: Take up your trumpet, put it into your lips and try to buzz inside the mouthpiece.
    Now you should hear a sound. This sound can be like the sound of a car braking or
    a plane crash, but with a little practising, it will soon sound like a trumpet.
    #5: Get a fingering chart
    #6: Practise every day to make a lovely sound. Don't overdo it. Take a lot of breaks.
    To play a trumpet is like bodybuilding. In your face.
    #7: Learn how to take care of your trumpet. Wash it both inside and outside.
    Oil the valves and grease the slides.
    #8: Get a teacher ASAP
    #9: Listen carefully when someone gives you decent advices
    #10: Listen to other great trumpet players. Build a "listening bank" of all the good sounds out there.
    Put those sounds together and mix your own special sound.
    #11: Enjoy!
    #12: As long as you can breath, you will have one of the most fun hobbies in the world!

Good luck!

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i guess so......

6. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    A second thought: If you have misspelled them as "Blue midgets" and they
    actually are "Blues midgets" then you are in really serious trouble!:shock:

Even worse: If you are trying to play "Too many fish in the sea", and starts on
    an E instead of an A, because of incompetence or ignorance, those guys
    will use their holy mackerels to smack you in your face until you have practiced
    enough to start on the right note!

This is really serious stuff! Take care!!! :-o

7. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    whats blue midgets?

8. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I didn't notice this sentence good enough when I gave you my previous advices.

The human body is normally tuned in the key of "C".

If your sister tells you that you are matching the "G" on the piano when you
    actually is whistling an "A" with your set up, your body is tuned down to
    the key of "Bb".
    This will cause a lot of trouble for you when you start to play your trumpet,
    which is in "Bb". The trumpet will actually be tuned down to "Ab", and you will have to
    transpose all your music to match the others in your band.

I will strongly advice you to go to the pitch doctor and ask to be tuned up!

rowuk likes this.
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahhhhh Norwegian humour - that's very very amusing ROFLROFL