Quick transposition question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Apr 22, 2010.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I play horn in my little town orchestra and I know how to transpose horn music. No problem, but I don't have the book for trumpet. (I've got the horn one.) I've been told to play the third trumpet part on the piece that does not have a horn part. I've got a b flat trumpet, the part is for trumpet in D. Is it up or down and what interval? The key is C, so how many sharps or flats?

(See, horn in F plays an F for concert b flat. Trumpet is a b flat instrument, but plays C for b flat. It's different and changes things!)

Rehearsal is at 7:30pm.

Thanks!

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    You play two full steps up (a major third up) if you're reading a D part but have a B flat trumpet. (If the D part says C, you play E, if it says E you play G#, if it says D you play F#, etc.)

So, if the D part is in the key of C, you read a major third up and play in the key of E on your B flat

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    So, I would go a two steps down because the music is for trumpet in D and I am playing a b flat trumpet? Then I'd be playing in the key of b flat? Or, maybe I should just go find where dh has put the score...

4. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    SORRY!!!

Read my NEWLY EDITED post! (The same one, the one above this, but I just edited it and made it right, and more clear)

I messed up on the first one.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks!