quicky warmup

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    I need to find a quick 30-60 sec warmup thatll get me ready to play anything. just to get some ideas, what do some of you players do for a quick warmup at rehearsals and such?

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Lip flexibilities (5ths), down chromatically, beginning on middle G. (first interval downward G-C, F#-B, Bb-F, etc.) Pick a tempo and then give each finger combination a 4/4 measure - quarters down, eighths up, triplets down, sixteenths up, sixtuplet down and up. Done.

OR, every once in a while

Flow study - Plog, Gornston, or similar (moving long tones). Done.

That's what I do. :dontknow:

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Try devising your own warm-up. Things that work for one player don't work for another trumpet player. I have always been an early bird. I sometimes start at 6:30 in the morning. I can play with little or no warm-up. That's for me, and me only. i have been doing this since I was in elementary school.
    Some other players take a lot more time. We each must find what works for us. All the advice in the world can not create for you a warm-up. Sorry, you must do it yourself.
    Wilmer

4. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    check out the warm up outlined in the Allen Vizzutti trumpet method. The first two parts (mouthpiece sirens and tonguing) are a good start.

-M

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I had a colleague who would play low c, high c, top c slured and then would say that he was ready, but I am not sure that this will work for you

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I have no time, I just blow air through my lips and make that horse sound. Then just 2 or 3 notes or a scale to let me know where I am.
    If I behave myself, there are generally no serious problems on the next day.
    I did have the german masters in ballroom dancing a couple of years ago. We played from 8:00 to 2:30 the next morning. I played lead and the next day I had the Arutunian with orchestra. No amount of warm up would have made me feel comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even want to know what to expect, so I didn't warm up and everything still went very well!

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I assume you have this amount of time because it's band class. hewre's my advice: Wake up a half hour early, get to school early and have a good practice in the morning or, if you have a basement, practice at home.

The point is one minute is not going to get you ready for anything. The only thing that'll get you going is your mental attitude. Warming up is either an issue or it isn't. I hope your band rehearsals don't take the place of your practice time.

ML

8. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Wilmer,

I have played this way for the last 18 years and now have a new instructor telling me that it will do nothing but tear up my chops in the long run. I asked them if 18 years was considered "the long run". They insist that I must change my ways because it is not "normal". Should I start looking for another instructor? Please keep in mind that endurance is not an issue for me when it comes to playing a 3 hour gig and switching parts. Thanks in advance.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I like Wilmer's advice - do what works for you.

As for me, 4 quarter notes at low C and a whole note.

A few scales up to about a G

Back to the low C's

A few scales up to high C

A few low C's

I'm ready - but that's just me, and only the 'lip' aspect.

Manny's comment about mental preparation/focus is just as or more important as having the lip warm.

my 2c,

Greg

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I wanted to clarify that my "quickie" warm-up is only for those times when getting up earlier, arriving earlier, etc. is just impossible or something came up that prevented me from having a proper warm-up. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. If I have time, I like to do 1/2 hour of flows and flexibilities and then take inventory of what my chops need for the day. That is where you find your own way and what works for you.