Quintet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    practice your part on both trumpets and be ready to play the horn that works best with the group. I used to play a lot of community theater and one trumpet player insisted on playing a C trumpet while the other 2 played Bb trumpets, it was ok until she and one of the Bb trumpets played the same note and it didn't blend well at all. I changed mouthpiece cup size to match the lead in my quintet, I kept the same rim but by changing the the cup it made it easier to match the sound. I now can "color" my sound somewhat with out changing mouth pieces. Good Luck and have fun, this will really help your counting. Dave

2. JStrube

JStrube New Friend

Jan 18, 2006
    Milwaukee,WI
    If you're very careful about intonation, C and Bb will blend just fine. The two Bach instruments will sound the best together, but it is a good idea to be ready for both C or Bb to make the group more comfortable.

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Playing your Bb may be easier for you if this is your first time playing in a quintet. Yes, technically having two Bachs is a good thing, but chances are very good that the only people that will care about that (or notice!) are the two trumpet players. There are some sound differences between Bb and C trumpets for most people, so you aren't completely getting away from a sound issue. Having your intonation tendencies line up will make your life easier so you can concentrate more on listening to style, note length/release, dynamics/blend, etc. The bottom line is go in with a good sound, your part nailed, and be ready to listen and have fun.........that's all that matters!

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    John- I'm going to support both LawlerBb and Vulgano Brother. I would use the Bb, as it fits better in between the trumpet 1 and horn part. You are the bridge there. A C has a different sound quality than a Bb. And, "Maid of the Mist" is a cornet solo. He may well choose a cornet to play his part, as he will no doubt have the solo lines and you most likely have the acccompanimental figures. (In that case, you are actually leading the accompaniment). In general, the Bb sound will be more characteristic than the C. Remember that Clarke thought the trumpet as vulgar; the brilliance and shimmer of a C might be too much in this case. Suggestion: use a bit less dynamic and a soft attack to create a "darker" (as much as I am coming to dislike that term) sound.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Everyone, Thanks for your input all points noted.

Glenn,

No chance he'll perform it on a Cornet he does not own one. Thanks for you input I'll be certain to keep in mind the points you have made as well!

6. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I'm not sure the same brand is what matters. C and Bb can have very different sounds even with the same brand horn. I'd try both, I guess, but with an unbiased ear go with whatever blends with the whole group best.

Quintet is my favorite playing of all. As someone said earlier, you need to be aware of the likelihood that you'll have the lead/melody as well. Play the piece at home and try to discern (it should be fairly obvious unless it's some sort of fugal setting) where you have the melody so you are prepared in rehearsal/performance.

Otherwise, I think you've probably got plenty of musical sense to know when to blend/listen to the lead and also WHOM to listen to (not always first trumpet), so I'd say the endurance might be the only concern. Quintet playing certainly places a higher demand than many other forms of playing as you won't get much rest....have fun!!!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You're too kind RJ thanks!

I really am happy about all the responses I've received here on this topic. I didn't play past High School so I missed out on all these ensembles and other things that I would have been in had I stayed in school and went after a degree involving music. Not doing so is real close to my biggest regret in life!

Anyway, spent about 1 hour working my part up last night on Bb and C. I like the Bb much better as in C as the part progresses it ends up in Ab major which is a major pain in the arse! Bb of course ends up in 2 flats less which is much more comforable to play for me anyway!

So I'll continue to work up both parts and see which one seems to fit the group best.

Thanks again; everyone!

John

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Now for the dangerous part -- rehearsing as a quintet. It is almost a universal, but when you tell your colleague, "gee, I think you are a little sharp on that note," he hears, "you are a complete loser and you play like one, too." And vice-versa, so beware -- it real easy to take musical suggestions as personal attacks, and trombonists have even less tact than Vulgano Brothers!

9. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Acutally, can't stress VB's point enough. I don't know why, but he's right. Each little piece of constructive criticism is like a stab through the heart. And I know others in my group have noticed, because now we say things almost apologetically....

(And he's right about the trombone bit...)

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wow!

I really am glad I posted this....

Thanks guys I'll be sure to excersize caution when making "suggestions."

As for me I don't get offended, "I suck and I know it!" However, with Alex's help I have managed to become a far better player and would anticipate that as long as I continue to work at it as often as I can and with continued support from Alex as my teacher the sky's the limit.

Thanks again and Vulgano Brother I'll take the tip on Trombone players to heart!