Quintets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, May 12, 2015.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Anyone have any advice on pricing for quintets?

Such as a wedding? As we're a student ensemble we're thinking like £250 ($390) for 1 or 2 hours (we haven't entirely decided)

Therefore, anyone have any interesting stories for quintets or any advice to share?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ouch. This is a market thing. For clubs we are good if we can get $100 a person (plus travel expenses). For weddings we can and usually do get $200 a person (Plus a chance to get pinched by the bride, butt that's another story). Hopefully, someone form the UK within your marked will chime in. Here in the Colonies, life is tough and the pickin's is slim.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I think you're way undervaluing yourself. You say "student ensemble" but what level do you perform at. At 14 I was playing 4th book in a big band making $40 a night, and that was 50 years ago. You need to remember that you have equipment costs--stands, music, lights, etc. that need to be covered as well as set-up time, tear-down time, rehearsal time and travel time. These may seem to be inconsequential amounts of time that you don't want figured into the equation, and that's fine but not everyone feels that way. You also need to consider just compensation for your "booking agent" even if it is handled by a member of the band. Someone has to do the advertising, keep track of dates, run down equipment for gigs, get contracts signed (you are going to use contracts aren't you) and all those things necessary to insure your gigs are accomplished in a professional manner. In small groups we always gave the booking agent a full share--so that would mean the $390 would be split 6 ways, not 5. Just things for you to think about. You can charge whatever you wish and whatever the traffic will allow, but if you think what you're suggesting is fair then go have fun--but make sure you get the contract signed.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There you have it... $65 a man in Northern California. Suddenly, living in Dayton Ohio isn't looking so bad!:-P

5. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I had never thought about agents before! Haha, I'm the one who usually does the advertisements and bookings and what not.
    I had also never though contracts or anything, maybe I should write up a template contract! Question is, take payment before or after the performance... Haha.