Quiting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sean007r, Feb 7, 2008.

1. sean007r

sean007r Piano User

Nov 19, 2003
    Des Plaines IL
    A few notes before you read...
    * The director in questions was a friend at one time
    * The director in question has his own personal problems
    * The director in question is a GREAT musician/organist/vocalist
    * I am not a paid professional
    * I play this gig for FREE
    * I can transpose, but do not like to during GIG because....
    I know that transposing is one less thing I have to worry about
    when trying to make "music"
    * I am NOT a Viva, but rather a very humble trumpet player that LOVES
    to play but is filled with self-doubt because I know what a GREAT player should be!

So a few months ago "A Music Director" of a "venue" that I play at for free really pissed me off for the last time.

Basically he had given me a part that was not transposed correctly.
    The notes were for a c trumpet but the key signature was for Bb

Rather that having to think too much for the gig I decided to rewrite it so I wouldn't screw up.

an hour before we ran through the piece and I found my new copy to fit correctly. I assumed I missed a measure or something.

I had the director take a look at it and after a minute or two he just responded with... well I don’t know what you did, but every group I've hired before has played it just fine the way it was written originally

While he may be right the fact remains that I am NOT a paid professional
    I’m just some chump that plays for free and takes food away from paid professionals

Well that was the end for me.
    After "the gig" I gave him all the music and books I had and told him I quit

He was, at one time a friend, so I heard that he thought I was joking through other friends
    However, that was thanksgiving. Other than a phone call I got from him around Christmas, I didn't answer, he left a message stating that my music was there for me when ever I wanted to pick it up; he hasn't bothered to call and say he is sorry.

AM I WRONG?
    Should I suck it up and play for a director that cannot take the time to assist me and/or has other priorities than ensuring the "gig" runs smoothly?

What would you do?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Go play for someone else. The Salvation Army has bands and a lot of churches and groups do.

3. sean007r

sean007r Piano User

Nov 19, 2003
    Des Plaines IL
    last time I called the SA they had no openings and said they haven't had an opening in years

they also wanted "members" only

since I'm catholic I'm guesing I'd have to convert?

Cheers

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

LOL that could be a problem!

OK so what do I know.... *shrug*

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing for free should be fun.
    Not answering phone calls or calling back gives YOU bad points in social skills though. That is rude, and there never is an excuse for that!

Transposing is not tough, just needs a bit of practice like anything else trumpet.

I would in any case call the guy (he called you last), tell him (again) in a nice way that you like to serve God by playing in church services but need Bb parts to play and ask if he is willing to work out the differences. It always takes two to tangle and the stronger one has less problem opening the doors of communication. There is incredible power in being the driving force - but if you do not get a sense of cooperation, then he is not interested and you can let go without a guilty concience!

NEVER slam the door shut!

misty.sj likes this.
  6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Surely there would be a community group that you could play in?

7. sean007r

sean007r Piano User

Nov 19, 2003
    Des Plaines IL
    There was a local Big Band that I used to play with that was very active, but since 2005 when the last director quit it has become nothing more than a one year gig band.

The other local group I played with was the Motor City Brass Band. This was and is a really cool group, but the trumpet section is full and I'm not sure I'm good enough to play with them.

So until then I guess I need to keep tooting!

cheers

8. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Since you feel free to publicly call a church music director an "a**",
    you have as much of an attitude problem as he does.

No church needs a member who goes around publicly calling other church members "a**".
    Has he gone around publicly calling you an "a**"?

Based solely on what you told us, I'd say that he is bad but you are worse.

See Matthew 7:3-5.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    LOL screamingmorris :)

I'm not religious but I agree with rowuk on all points. I can also see the director's POV. Right before a performance (church performances have a very low turn-around time I believe) your part was not right, he did not have the time to figure it out because he was pressed for time, and he got pissy with you. You were already feeling pissy yourself and it was not a good mix. I do think it's possible that you both over-reacted.

Transposing is not tough to learn -- other instruments have to do it routinely, and not just from C to B-flat! It's also possible that your director doesn't know how to transpose. It seems like it's probably something both of you should know. :)

At any rate, IMHO it's not worth sacrificing a friendship over -- you said he had been a friend. Is it really worth losing a friend over?

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Playing for free stinks sometimes...maybe it's better to stay home
    and play with yourself. Um, you know what I mean! :cool: