Quiting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sean007r, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    I agree that church is a "red herring" ...at the end of the day it is about two people who have not connected.....it happens.

"Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future."

I think having the chance to play in church and praise God is an honour....and I certainly don't think God takes it for granted.....and yes....the church is full of flawed people.....that's why I am there.;-)

Walter

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. wuzzard

wuzzard New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    I don't think you should go back to that guy if he doesn't care about what you have to say. especially if you aren't getting paid.

3. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    If you want to quit quit, but a big part of getting gigs for any me is word of mouth which requires networking, in the sense that when people talk about me they are good things. If one bad thing comes into the convorsation that could lose me to gig and worse another oppertunity to impress somebody and get more gigs. I say if you wanna quit quit, but go about it in a way that you're not gonna end up looking like a jackass.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Brad,

That may be your opinion, but it isn't for many of the church musicians that I know. They are very happy to use their gift to praise the One who gave it to them. Are you being honest about the your reason for playing? Is it for God or yourself? Praising God with music is its own reward. You have a right to your opinion, but serving God is much more than rhetoric. Sorry you don't see it that way, Brad.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    zzzzzzzzz.......

6. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    :D I am always amazed at how many people sleep in church.....every church needs at least one trumpet player!

Walter

7. sean007r

sean007r Piano User

Nov 19, 2003
    Des Plaines IL
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I was amazed at how this post took off and I wanted to update you with my thoughts since.

1.) I do enjoy playing at the church . I'm not totally sure it is for the right reasons but I know it should be becuase I'm playing for God, but I fell like it is more for the people in church and to help them find God through music. Therefore, in a round about way, I play for God but does that make me selfish?
    *** Do not reply to this thought since it is more relegious in nature!***
    *** I just put it here for background information ***

2.) I will talk to the music director again, but after the Lent and Easter season becuase he is always too "busy" to talk to at this time of the year.

3.) I will keep practicing so that I am good enough to transpose from C and sight read at the same time.

4.) I HAVE to start my own brass quintet so that I have another venue to play in and other players to talk to!

Cheers

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The main reason I have been recording stuff and putting it on youtube is that it gives me a reason to practice. I have been bogged down in late 19th century orchestral parts for the past year and I was getting bored. The result of the extra practicing has been me getting better and being asked to do a concerto with an orchestra. I am a hopeless networker. My social skills are quite poor, actually I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome this year which was no real surprise actually, but do live a bit in a world of my own.

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    hey sean, for some reason you aren't getting private messages. so I thought I owuld reply to your message on this thread.

The message I tried to write to you:
    "ya it is me simpsonized. go to Simpsonize Me and you can upload a picture of yourself and it will simpsonize you. from there you can select accessories like hair type, glasses, shirts, pants etc. I added the trumpet clipart in the windows paint program":